RadioBanter

-   -   AM Car Radio Reception Problem (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/99538-am-car-radio-reception-problem.html)

Cecil Moore July 22nd 06 01:29 PM

AM Car Radio Reception Problem

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
I posted regarding this a few months ago and since then have found the root
cause of the reception. The symptoms are an overpowering hum at the low end
of the am band. It is being caused by 3-phase power lines.

BPL?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jeff Dieterle July 22nd 06 02:13 PM

AM Car Radio Reception Problem

I posted regarding this a few months ago and since then have found the root
cause of the reception. The symptoms are an overpowering hum at the low end
of the am band. It is being caused by 3-phase power lines. I can follow the
line for several miles in any direction with any of my vehicles and get the
interference. I contacted the power company and they are supposedly looking
for the cause. Has anybody had success getting this type of problem
resolved? Do I have recourse if the power company doesn't fix the problem?

Galen, W8LNA July 22nd 06 03:28 PM

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
...Do I have recourse if the power company doesn't fix the problem?

You should also contact the station managers at the AM stations you
listen to. Tell them where their signal is being interfered with, what
it sounds like, that it seems to be following power lines (if it does), etc.

If it is BPL having broadcasters not so happy about it could be a very
good thing.

If it's not BPL it should be fixed anyway and broadcasters have a little
more pull with utility companies than individuals. Lawyers on retainer,
ya know.

Jim - NN7K July 22nd 06 11:15 PM

Galen, W8LNA wrote:
Jeff Dieterle wrote:

...Do I have recourse if the power company doesn't fix the problem?

Keep in mind, also that the high tension lines are
NOT necessarily owned (or even controlled by
utilities! Further, some of these are feeders for
the interstate power grids, in the U.S./Canada.
For example, B.P.A. , or Bonneville Power
Administration, is a Federal agency, generateing ,
and selling their power to various utilities.
One, that I have had experience with is the 500KV line
they ran to Malin, Oregon, from the Columbia River
dams! A telephone line paralleling it for about 4
miles, could measure 400 Volts of Escape
(induction) at a office 25 miles away! Also, many
of these are D.C. (not A.C), to avoid the
situation just described (power loss via
radiation/induction)- these can run hundreds of
miles! There can be other things also, can cause
problems with open wire circuits paralleling
broadcast stations (yeh, I Know, it ain't supposed
to happen, especially in transposed circuits)!
In sum total, you may have to investigate just
WHO owns this line, and contact THEM- Your local
utility may have little to do with them- except
use the energy they supply! Jim NN7K