Old November 3rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Heathkit SB-240 PROTOTYPE !!!

Hello,

I have a Heathkit SB-240 linear amplifier. This is a prototype!!! It
matches the SB-104 line in design.
I got this one from my friend Mike Elliot (the man behind SB-104 and Drake
TR7). He is now silent key.
The SB-240 has two 3-500Z tubes, and built in power supply. I have full
documentation for it.
I have it stored in USA at the moment. I'm considering selling it for a
serious price. That's why I have not got it shipped over to Norway yet,
where I live.

I don't think there are any more SB-240 out there. I've never heard of any.
If you have any more info about the SB-240, please drop me an e-mail.

You may take a look at it he
http://home.online.no/~sindtorp/sb240front.JPG
http://home.online.no/~sindtorp/sb240rear.JPG

Regards,
Sindre Torp, LA6OP
http://home.online.no/~sindtorp

Old November 3rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Sort of looks like a front-panel re-do of the SB-220? I'll bet the
schematics are identical, except for the metering circuits.

Old November 3rd 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave Edwards wrote:
An SB230 front panel with an add on metering sup-panel!
...Dave

No, looks like an SB-220 panel with a metering panel cobbled on. A
prototype? I doubt it! Worth more than a "regular" SB-220? Not likely!
Old November 3rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi,

Well, the SB-240 has two 3-500Z tubes. And so says the original manual I
have for it.
All the paperwork is original and with some comments etc. written by Mike
Elliott by hand.
Mike told me that he was the man behind it. I had the pleasure of meeting
him several times.
I'm by the way also the happy owner of the very first Drake TR7 prototype,
serial no "XXX1". I got this one too from Mike. I have several other Drake
prototypes as well, the TR8 to mention one.

Sindre, LA6OP

"Old Time Ham" skrev i melding
. ..

Old November 3rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi,

Well, the SB-240 has two 3-500Z tubes. And so says the original manual I
have for it.
All the paperwork is original and with some comments etc. written by Mike
Elliott by hand.
Mike told me that he was the man behind it.
I'm by the way also the happy owner of the very first Drake TR7 prototype,
serial no "XXX1". I got this one too from Mike. I have several other Drake
prototypes as well, the TR8 to mention one.

Sindre, LA6OP

"Dave" skrev i melding
. ..

Old November 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tell us about the TR-8 prototype.

73 Dave K4JRB

Old November 7th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Dave" wrote in message
Google search seems to indicate that the SB-240 final was/is an 8873 not
two 3-500s.

The 8873 was used in the conduction cooled amp (the 230 as mentioned
above) which had a front panel *similar* to the one shown below, at
least from a distance.

Also different: the entire back panel was one great big, black,
heatsink.

snip

You may take a look at it he
http://home.online.no/~sindtorp/sb240front.JPG