RadioBanter

-   -   Mod Transformer (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/112874-mod-transformer.html)

Jack Schmidling January 2nd 07 08:07 PM

Mod Transformer

Anyone have a modulation transformer for a pair of 811's/813'?

js

COLIN LAMB January 3rd 07 01:52 AM

Mod Transformer

Use one out of an ART-13. They are plentiful and cheap.

Colin K7FM

Jack Schmidling January 3rd 07 04:38 AM

Mod Transformer

COLIN LAMB wrote:
Use one out of an ART-13. They are plentiful and cheap.

Could be but how does one find one? Sort of why I posted the query.

js

COLIN LAMB January 3rd 07 02:53 PM

Mod Transformer

I have seen a number of them on eBay. I am sure there were more
transformers than radios. I acquired 2 in a short while with no serious
problem. It is a good transformer because it is sealed in oil - which means
it is immune to the moisture that many transformers seem to absorb when
stored in basements or barns.

Colin K7FM

Jack Schmidling January 4th 07 04:40 AM

Mod Transformer

COLIN LAMB wrote:
I have seen a number of them on eBay. I am sure there were more
transformers than radios. I acquired 2 in a short while with no serious
problem. It is a good transformer because it is sealed in oil - which means
it is immune to the moisture that many transformers seem to absorb when
stored in basements or barns.

I am sold but all I can find on the classifieds are WTB's so it may be
poplular but it does not seem to be very common.

js

COLIN LAMB January 4th 07 05:48 AM

Mod Transformer

Good thing I acquired mine when they were available. I know I saw one for
sale not long ago for $20, which is a good buy.

they have a separate winding for the screen of the 813. This makes it
easier to get 100% modulation, without having to match the screen dropping
and shunt resistor resistor.

73, Colin K7FM

L Ron Hubbub January 5th 07 08:56 PM

Mod Transformer

Works like gangbusters with 803s also.
Brought a TBW back to life with one of those xfmrs
Hamfest find two years ago $10 w 811s

nk.net...

COLIN LAMB January 6th 07 12:39 AM

Mod Transformer

And, they work great as a replacement transformer for the Viking/ B&W,
DX-100 series. Just the right size and winding ratio is close enough.

I used one years ago in my Viking 1 that had been the backup transmitter at
a local broadcast station. They had removed the original transformer and
used a 200 pound boatanchor at the bottom of the rack mount. I got mine
sans transformer and the ART-13 transformer fit perfectly.

I miss that old rig.

73, Colin K7FM