RadioBanter

-   -   Boat Anchor Qualifications? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/114652-boat-anchor-qualifications.html)

Ron in Radio Heaven February 3rd 07 10:42 PM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

Yeah I really hate to read about all you guys having to sneak
new/old stuff in to the house.
My wife will just look at the new goody, ask what's that
and then just smile.
We're working on our 33rd year of marriage.
I have my display room that was a 2 car garage,
the next to the biggest of the 4 bedrooms for ham shack/office
and boat anchor display, the smallest bedroom for library,
display space for my early electric fans and my Apollo 11 collection,
and the detached 2 car garage for work shop and radio/parts
storage. And there are 6 radios scattered around the living
room, dining room, den and foyer.

I count myself pretty lucky.

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

JimC February 5th 07 05:04 PM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

K3HVG wrote:
Sorry to hear of all the trials and tribulations you guys have,
sometimes. Things are a bit different, here. If I dwell too long on an
item at a hamfest or show a genuine interest in some radio gem in QST,
the XYL will go back and buy it. Well, truth told, she generally asks
first, but not always. My stuff comes through the front door in broad
daylight, unless its just too heavy. If that's the case, she'll help and
unlock the basement door.......... I had to use her SUV to get my T-368
home. No foolin'!!
de K3HVG

I didn't think that my DX-160, which was only $64 on Ebay, would be a
problem with respect to WAF. However, it came in a huge box, delivered
in a big FedEx truck. - My wife wanted to know: What are you going to do
with that thing, and, is there something in particular that you want to
listen to? - I'm not sure how to explain it. - "News from countries all
over the world" doesn't seem to impress her.

Jim

Rick February 6th 07 08:01 PM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

It's really quite simple. Don't make this harder than necessary.
Similar to training a dog, ok? When you train a dog, you do the same
thing over and over till they understand.
With an xyl, what you do is this:
You bring home a boatanchor borrowed from a friend. She will say,
"What is that?" You say, "Oh it's an old radio I am fixing for my buddy,
Joe."
Then, (and this is the extremely important part) you MAKE SURE SHE SEES
YOU TAKE THE BOATANCHOR BACK OUT OF THE BASEMENT A FEW DAYS LATER.
It might be most effective if you do it during dinner hour, right through the
kitchen.
Repeat the above a few times.
I guarantee, after 3 iterations, she won't ever ask again.

Rick K2XT

Dave February 6th 07 09:23 PM

Rick wrote:
It's really quite simple. Don't make this harder than necessary.
Similar to training a dog, ok? When you train a dog, you do the same
thing over and over till they understand.
With an xyl, what you do is this:
You bring home a boatanchor borrowed from a friend. She will say,
"What is that?" You say, "Oh it's an old radio I am fixing for my buddy,
Joe."
Then, (and this is the extremely important part) you MAKE SURE SHE SEES
YOU TAKE THE BOATANCHOR BACK OUT OF THE BASEMENT A FEW DAYS LATER.
It might be most effective if you do it during dinner hour, right through the
kitchen.
Repeat the above a few times.
I guarantee, after 3 iterations, she won't ever ask again.

You're right!!! I'll get thrown out of the house for messing up the kitchen!

/s/ DD, W1MCE

COLIN LAMB February 7th 07 03:42 AM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

"Oh it's an old radio I am fixing for my buddy, Joe."

What happens when she sees you do this three times and says "you are
spending a lot of time helping your friends but you do not have time to
paint the house, repair the front door lock or fix my vacuum cleaner", what
do you say?

Chuck Harris February 7th 07 05:51 AM

COLIN LAMB wrote:
"Oh it's an old radio I am fixing for my buddy, Joe."

What happens when she sees you do this three times and says "you are
spending a lot of time helping your friends but you do not have time to
paint the house, repair the front door lock or fix my vacuum cleaner", what
do you say?

It's far better to foster a relationship of mutual respect, and trust.
I could never live with a woman that scrutinized my every move. Nor
would I ever think I had the right to scrutinize my wife's every move.

Respect and trust. It is the only way. Trickiness and deceit will only
result in a divorce.

-Chuck

COLIN LAMB February 7th 07 06:28 AM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

"Respect and trust. It is the only way. Trickiness and deceit will only
result in a divorce."

So, when your wife asks you what you think of the new recipe she slaved 8
hours making, you have no problems telling her it tastes like crap?

Or, when she comes back with a new hairdo she is proud of, you tell her the
old one was a lot better.

When your wife just turns 50 and asks you how old she looks, you tell her
the truth?

Sometimes wives do not want to know the truth. My wife would cringe when
she saw the checks I wrote for helicopter rental. So, she asked me to
create a helicopter account and keep it from her. I did. Soon, it became
the expensive aircraft and radio account. She has been happy since.

Honesty is the quickest way to tick your spouse off and get a divorce.

K7FM

Chuck Harris February 7th 07 03:07 PM

COLIN LAMB wrote:
"Respect and trust. It is the only way. Trickiness and deceit will only
result in a divorce."

So, when your wife asks you what you think of the new recipe she slaved 8
hours making, you have no problems telling her it tastes like crap?

No, I wouldn't tell her it: "it tastes like crap", I'd tell her something
didn't work out quite right, and then I'd tell her what. My wife is a great
cook. She knows when she gets good results, and when he has gotten a bad
result.

Or, when she comes back with a new hairdo she is proud of, you tell her the
old one was a lot better.

No, I can tell how she feels by the look in her eyes. If she is happy with
the result, then I am happy. It is called being aware of your spouse.

When your wife just turns 50 and asks you how old she looks, you tell her
the truth?

We are both over 50, and she looks great. Neither of us are buff 20 YO's anymore,
but I see her physical beauty, and her spiritual beauty... It works for me!

There is one other thing you need to know, a wife that constantly asks land mine
questions is trying to provoke a confrontation. You had better find out what
is wrong, and help make it right.

Sometimes wives do not want to know the truth. My wife would cringe when
she saw the checks I wrote for helicopter rental. So, she asked me to
create a helicopter account and keep it from her. I did. Soon, it became
the expensive aircraft and radio account. She has been happy since.

My wife is my best friend, and my partner. There is no way I would try and
shield her from my expense account. Nor would she me from hers.

Honesty is the quickest way to tick your spouse off and get a divorce.

The little lies you tell will build up to a crushing point, and one day you
will discover how wrong you were.

-Chuck

COLIN LAMB February 8th 07 02:28 AM

Boat Anchor Qualifications?

"The little lies you tell will build up to a crushing point, and one day you
will discover how wrong you were."

Well, actually, I have been happily married for almost 30 years. I am
faithful to her and she knows it. I am a collector and she is not. I fly
and she is frightened of flying is small aircraft. She golfs and I do not.
She tolerates my radio junk. She does not like it and thinks I have more
than I need, but she tolerates it because she loves me. She spends money on
some things she likes and I could care less and do not even know what it is
for. I have a separate building full of my junk and she has no problem
with that - she just does not like it when it starts accumulating in the
house.

So, the only problem is the things she knows about. One of the bedrooms is
my Search and Rescue room, where I have everything I need all over the
place, where I can quickly grab and go. She knows about it and does not
like it and considers it clutter. But, she tolerates it because she loves
me. She would much prefer that I move it somewhere else. Many of her
friend's husbands are neatniks - but they are also boring. In the end, she
prefers me to someone like them.

And, she does not want to know how much I spend on radio junk or flying.

Colin K7FM

Chuck Harris February 8th 07 02:54 AM

COLIN LAMB wrote:
[...]

Explained that way, your relation ship seems to be a good one.

It isn't dishonest to withold information from someone that wants
to be left out of the loop.

But, that isn't what I was clucking about. The stories that went prior
to yours about how to train your wife by lying to her about repairs
on friend's stuff, or sneaking it into the house, are the ones that
are trouble waiting to happen. We are mostly all adults here, we should
act like adults.

-Chuck