Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default HQ-180 for $450?

Today I saw a Hammarlund HQ-180 (not the "A" model) for $450. This seems
to me to be a bit on the high side of reasonable and I wanted to see what
you all think.

It looks like it's in better than average cosmetic condition, though not
"mint" by any means (looks like a 50-year-old radio that was well taken
care of but is, after all, 50 years old). Inside is a bit dusty but I
didn't see any corrosion.

Unfortunately, where I saw it wasn't anyplace where I could plug it in,
hang a wire off the back, and check it out, but I am arranging with the
owner to be able to do that sometime in the next couple of weeks.

It has the clock (so, I guess that makes it the HQ-180C model).

It has the original owner's manual.

When I go to check it out, what are the main things I should check for,
other than the normal ability to receive across all bands?

If I can borrow a signal generator from somebody and take it with me, what
level of sensitivity should I expect?

What are some of the options for that model of receiver that I should look
for that might make it worth more?

What do you all think of the $450 price, if everything works?