RadioBanter

-   -   Galaxy V (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/129083-galaxy-v.html)

Radiosrfun January 2nd 08 05:44 PM

Galaxy V

Anyone know/remember the original "paint" color of the cabinet, etc. Also
what tubes? A customer of mine wants to know. Honestly, "I" can't recall
ever having seen or worked on one.

I tried to google but came up empty with hits to help me out - unless over
looked them.

Edward Knobloch January 3rd 08 01:18 AM

Galaxy V

radiosrfun wrote:
Anyone know/remember the original "paint" color of the cabinet, etc. Also
what tubes? A customer of mine wants to know. Honestly, "I" can't recall
ever having seen or worked on one.

Hi,

The cabinets were a semi-gloss black. Galaxy didn't do a good job
priming the steel cabinet, so many have been repainted over the years.

The final amplifier in both the original Galaxy V and Galaxy V Mk2
use a pair of 6HF5 tubes.

The Galaxy V Mk3 and the HyGain GT-550 used a pair of 6LB6 tubes.

The earliest models have hinged cabinets without even a screw
to hold the lid shut, and no cage over the final plate caps.
Not good if your shack ever gets visited by children.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Radiosrfun January 3rd 08 02:41 AM

Galaxy V

"Edward Knobloch" wrote in message
radiosrfun wrote:
Anyone know/remember the original "paint" color of the cabinet, etc. Also
what tubes? A customer of mine wants to know. Honestly, "I" can't recall
ever having seen or worked on one.

Hi,

The cabinets were a semi-gloss black. Galaxy didn't do a good job
priming the steel cabinet, so many have been repainted over the years.

The final amplifier in both the original Galaxy V and Galaxy V Mk2
use a pair of 6HF5 tubes.

The Galaxy V Mk3 and the HyGain GT-550 used a pair of 6LB6 tubes.

The earliest models have hinged cabinets without even a screw
to hold the lid shut, and no cage over the final plate caps.
Not good if your shack ever gets visited by children.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Thanks Ed, I appreciate the help. Will pass that info along. Happy New Year
to you and yours.

Radiosrfun January 4th 08 05:33 AM

Galaxy V

"Edmund H. Ramm" wrote in message
In mJWej.5044$yv5.4541@trndny07 Edward Knobloch
writes:

[...]
The Galaxy V Mk3 and the HyGain GT-550 used a pair of 6LB6 tubes.
[...]

I remember my friend's GT-550 (A or B) with a pair of 6KD6 in the PA.
--
e-mail: dk3uz AT darc DOT de | AMPRNET:
If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

Thanks - I'll pass that info along - as well.