Old July 11th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Looking for crystals for Heathkit SB series equipment

I have a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter that I’m using as a “slave” to an
SB-301 receiver. I’d like to operate the transmitter independently,
but need a set of crystals to do so.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a source for Heathkit SB series crystal
sets aside from E-Bay?

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ
Old July 11th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jul 10, 9:09 pm, Carter wrote:
wrote:
I have a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter that I’m using as a “slave” to an
SB-301 receiver. I’d like to operate the transmitter independently,
but need a set of crystals to do so.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a source for Heathkit SB series crystal
sets aside from E-Bay?

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

Well, you didn't specify new or used...but I'm sure you know about
International Crystals (and other suppliers of new crystals). The only
problem may be that a set of new crystals will cost you at least half of
what the radio is worth.

Or, look around for a junker/parts 400 or 401.

I like this idea better, plus you;ll have a parts rig to boot:-)
They are around, just gotta search 'em out!
GL......
Rich
Old July 11th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:
I have a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter that I=92m using as a =93slave=94 to a=
SB-301 receiver. I=92d like to operate the transmitter independently,
but need a set of crystals to do so.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a source for Heathkit SB series crystal
sets aside from E-Bay?

Sure, call ICM. Tell them you have an SB-401 and what frequencies you
want, and they'll cut them for you. Probably about twenty bucks each.

Otherwise you can get junk crystals at a hamfest and recut them for
whatever frequencies you want, but it's a pain.
--scott

Old July 11th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Scott Dorsey wrote:

wrote:
I have a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter that I=92m using as a =93slave=94 to a=
SB-301 receiver. I=92d like to operate the transmitter independently,
but need a set of crystals to do so.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a source for Heathkit SB series crystal
sets aside from E-Bay?

Sure, call ICM. Tell them you have an SB-401 and what frequencies you
want, and they'll cut them for you. Probably about twenty bucks each.

Otherwise you can get junk crystals at a hamfest and recut them for
whatever frequencies you want, but it's a pain.

Except they aren't in a holder that can be opened by unscrewing them.
Few are likely to tackle sealed crystals, too much trouble to open (and
then close afterwards) and of course the crystal blank is not held in
place with pressure, so that's even more work.

ANd of course, you never could grind a crystal to just any frequency,
at least not at home. You could open up crystal holders held together
with screws and grind the blank a tad (or add a bit of lead from a pencil
to lower the frequency) but you had to start with a crystal on a frequency
quite close to what you needed, and this only allowed an incremental
change. Move it too much, and the person at home couldn't do it evenly
enough.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 11th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Otherwise you can get junk crystals at a hamfest and recut them for
whatever frequencies you want, but it's a pain.

Except they aren't in a holder that can be opened by unscrewing them.
Few are likely to tackle sealed crystals, too much trouble to open (and
then close afterwards) and of course the crystal blank is not held in
place with pressure, so that's even more work.

I did hundreds of those things when I was a kid, peeling open the crimp
on the bottom of the case, and lapping them down in the sink.

ANd of course, you never could grind a crystal to just any frequency,
at least not at home. You could open up crystal holders held together
with screws and grind the blank a tad (or add a bit of lead from a pencil
to lower the frequency) but you had to start with a crystal on a frequency
quite close to what you needed, and this only allowed an incremental
change. Move it too much, and the person at home couldn't do it evenly
enough.

I started out using Ajax cleanser and my finger, which does not allow much
change... you can go up a little bit but as you note it becomes difficult
to keep the sides parallel.

I wound up using pieces of window glass, with the blank sandwiched between
them, and with lapping compound from the auto parts store. The window
glass etches away faster than the crystal, but by holding the two sheets
together you can get remarkably parallel faces on the crystal and you can
move 500 KHz or more.

Incidentally I destroyed the finish on the bathroom sink in the process,
with stray lapping compound, and my mother still has not forgiven me.
I will say that I am much older now, and nowhere near as impoverished,
and if I need a crystal today I pick up the phone and call ICM.
--scott
Old July 11th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
I have a Heathkit SB-401 transmitter that I=92m using as a =93slave=94 to a=
SB-301 receiver. I=92d like to operate the transmitter independently,
but need a set of crystals to do so.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a source for Heathkit SB series crystal
sets aside from E-Bay?

Sure, call ICM. Tell them you have an SB-401 and what frequencies you
want, and they'll cut them for you. Probably about twenty bucks each.

Otherwise you can get junk crystals at a hamfest and recut them for
whatever frequencies you want, but it's a pain.
--scott

This is the type of item that makes ebay worthwhile no matter how much
one may prefer to avoid it. Sort of like a year round flea-market. The
missing ones from your rig possibly went there since its somewhat
difficult to sell that type of thing (and get a decent price) at limited
venues.

Good luck!

-Bill

Old July 11th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jul 10, 10:05*pm, exray wrote:
This is the type of item that makes ebay worthwhile no matter how much
one may prefer to avoid it. *Sort of like a year round flea-market. *The
missing ones from your rig possibly went there since its somewhat
difficult to sell that type of thing (and get a decent price) at limited
venues.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll keep an eye on Ebay. I'm in no rush
to get the crystals.

I'm fascinated that some of you have successfully re-ground crystals.
I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Thanks everyone.

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

Old July 12th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:05 pm, exray wrote:

This is the type of item that makes ebay worthwhile no matter how much
one may prefer to avoid it. Sort of like a year round flea-market. The
missing ones from your rig possibly went there since its somewhat
difficult to sell that type of thing (and get a decent price) at limited
venues.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll keep an eye on Ebay. I'm in no rush
to get the crystals.

I'm fascinated that some of you have successfully re-ground crystals.
I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Thanks everyone.

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

If the crystals were WWII or earlier they might respond to regrinding, I
have done that
with polishing compound and a piece of glass to work on.

BUT the crystals in a Heath SB series are probably gold plated and the
crystal support
is by two wires that are bonded to the gold plating. Then there is the
welded case to consider.

So I would not suggest regrinding that new of a crystal. The WWII
crystal holders are
to large to fit in the SB series equipment so shouldn't be used

International Crystal would be a good source as they will be on
frequency and some of old
surplus units may have aged and are now off frequency.

Just my two cents worth
Bill K7NOM