RadioBanter

-   -   ARRL 1944 handbook for sale (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/135445-arrl-1944-handbook-sale.html)

walt[_2_] August 1st 08 01:44 AM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

no cover. first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

walt[_2_] August 1st 08 01:47 AM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

On Jul 31, 8:44�pm, walt wrote:
no cover. � �first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

contact me at wbelsito at juno dot com

Don Bowey August 1st 08 08:18 AM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

On 7/31/08 5:44 PM, in article
, "walt"
wrote:

no cover. first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

If I recall right, the 1944 issue had some power line carrier transmission
equipment schematics. $10 is a bargain for some interesting history.

walt[_2_] August 1st 08 09:08 AM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

On Jul 31, 8:44�pm, walt wrote:
no cover. � �first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

this is sold already.

Michael Black[_2_] August 1st 08 07:21 PM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Don Bowey wrote:

On 7/31/08 5:44 PM, in article
, "walt"
wrote:

no cover. first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

If I recall right, the 1944 issue had some power line carrier transmission
equipment schematics. $10 is a bargain for some interesting history.

I don't know about the edition, but you're right, there was apparently
material to compensate for the lack of amateur radio during the
war years. I seem to recall they were also reoriented a bit, to
be a more general training book for radio men in general, but I
can't remember where I read that.

I can't remember the publishing history, I'd suspect unless they
could sell the handbook as a training aid for the radio men
in the military, they likely didn't publish a handbook every year.

I think QST kept publishing, unlike during WWI, and that too would
have been a source of those ground communication type things.

I have a few QSTs from about 1947, before all the bands had come
back, so it's an interesting transition period. The war is over,
some privileges restored, but not all, meanwhile everyone all excited
about the bands about to be restored, and lots of articles about
surplus.

Michael VE2BVW

Simon August 4th 08 03:13 PM

ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

Michael Black wrote:

I can't remember the publishing history, I'd suspect unless they
could sell the handbook as a training aid for the radio men
in the military, they likely didn't publish a handbook every year.

Michael VE2BVW

I have a copy of a 1942 edition of the ARRL Handbook which is thinner
than usual and headed "Special Defense Edition". The content is strong
on theory.

Simon VK2UA