RadioBanter

-   -   How can this be? Amplifier for sale (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/137849-how-can-amplifier-sale.html)

[email protected] October 22nd 08 12:24 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

Scott Dorsey October 22nd 08 03:03 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

In article ,
wrote:
LOOK AT Ebay item [REDACTED]...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

So, contact
and let them know about it.
--scott

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 06:59 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 4:24 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

What do you mean "shame on us?" I took time to report the SOB, did you?

Also, why do you blame it on ham radio? I see nothing NOTHING in the
listing that points to a ham.

Get your crap together before doing a similar post, jerk.

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this. Elsewhere
they say to report violations using the "report item" link that is in the
item's page. I spent about 10 minutes searching the page for the link. It
IS NOT THERE. So went the long way into them and reported it.

Bert Hyman October 22nd 08 07:34 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

(Don Bowey) wrote in
:

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this.

Probably to save you the trouble of making a report they'll ignore
anyway.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 07:47 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 11:34 AM, in article ,
"Bert Hyman" wrote:

(Don Bowey) wrote in
:

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this.

Probably to save you the trouble of making a report they'll ignore
anyway.

At their peril.

[email protected] October 22nd 08 07:51 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On Oct 22, 12:59*pm, Don Bowey wrote:
On 10/22/08 4:24 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
[...]

It is listed under Ham Radio,You can`t see that?..It`s Illegal ,next
thing will be Counterfit money and bootleg whisky.. I have reported
this activity several times ,nothing changes... From your statement I
believe YOU may be part of the problem,at least willing to ignore
it..This is NOT good for ham radio ..I care about that,You should
too.JERK

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 08:30 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 11:51 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
[...]

You need to improve your reading skills.

By the way, have you advised the FCC that eBay is unwilling to follow-up on
illegal CB sales? No? Why not?

This is NOT good for ham radio ..I care about that,You should
too.JERK

I do not see that an illegal sale on eBay reflects on ham radio. It
reflects on eBay and the guy trying to auction the forbidden equipment.

Why are YOU feeling so guilty?

Tio Pedro October 23rd 08 02:02 AM

wrote in message
LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

Didn't the FCC rescind the ban on 10 meter amplifiers?

pete

elaich October 23rd 08 05:16 AM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

Don Bowey wrote in news:C524B81A.C760D%
:

Also, why do you blame it on ham radio? I see nothing NOTHING in the
listing that points to a ham.

Agreed. How in the hell can hams control what somebody sells on ebay?

Linears have been used on CB for decades. The FCC gave up trying to police
the CB band ages ago. The proximity of the CB band to 10 meters is
unfortunate, but any hack worth his salt could convert a 15 meter amp to
work on 27 mcs.

Now I wonder if the "alarm" that set off this thread might not be a cloaked
advert of the auction.

Tio Pedro October 23rd 08 11:10 AM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

"Kevin Dooks" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:02:30 -0400, "Tio Pedro"
wrote:

What's the big deal anyway, any clod who can use a soldering iron without

doing him/herself a serious injury can BUILD an 11/10 Meter amp, all ya need
is a schematic and some $$ for parts

1: Legality
2: Spectral Purity
3: Collateral damage to other services
a. making once legal products illegal
b. unlicensed pirates on ham frequencies.

Isn't that enough?

geek October 23rd 08 12:28 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

Ebay doesn't care.

They have won in court against illegal knockoffs and counterfeit items and
is only recently banning ivory due to political pressure, not legalities.

Anyways, why do you care? I know a tonne of DIY'ers capable of making
these that would exceed FCC and UL spec and they never had a ham
license.

The "Old Boy's Club" is gone, sorry.

Cheers!

Scott Dorsey October 23rd 08 03:34 PM

geek wrote:
Ebay doesn't care.

They have won in court against illegal knockoffs and counterfeit items and
is only recently banning ivory due to political pressure, not legalities.

This is sadly true. Ebay does take illegal linears more seriously than
most things, but it's true that if a person is a big seller that makes
a lot of money for Ebay they seem willing to look the other way on just
about anything.

Anyways, why do you care? I know a tonne of DIY'ers capable of making
these that would exceed FCC and UL spec and they never had a ham
license.

Oh, I am sure they would exceed FCC specs... by about 996 watts.

The "Old Boy's Club" is gone, sorry.

That doesn't mean illegal activity should be condoned, sorry.
--scott

[email protected] October 23rd 08 04:46 PM

On Oct 23, 9:34*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
geek wrote:
Ebay doesn't care.

They have won in court against illegal knockoffs and counterfeit items and
is only recently banning ivory due to political pressure, not legalities..

This is sadly true. *Ebay does take illegal linears more seriously than
most things, but it's true that if a person is a big seller that makes
a lot of money for Ebay they seem willing to look the other way on just
about anything.

Anyways, why do you care? I know a tonne of DIY'ers capable of making
these that would exceed FCC and UL spec and they never had a ham
license.

Oh, I am sure they would exceed FCC specs... by about 996 watts.

The "Old Boy's Club" is gone, sorry.

That doesn't mean illegal activity should be condoned, sorry.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Well, It seems that most of the Hams are of the same mindset as the
average american public,"Whats in it for me",,Who cares..So ,it`s
illegal ,so what, ...Let me try to explain my position,, I worked hard
to get my license,60 tears ago, I have been able to use it to
contribute a small bit to society,to disaster communications, ,civil
defense,public service like phone patchs for American service men in
far away places etc,etc...The federal government does not OWE me a
license OR frequencies to operate on..At this point in time, with all
the sattelite and worldwide communications systems that we have in use
today, WHAT DOES HAM RADIO HAVE TO OFFER THAT THE WORLD NEEDS??
NOTHING,NOTHING...How long will we be able to abuse the system and go
un-noticed? If these bootleggers are allowed to mix their Illegal
junk in with bonafied ham radio , where is it all headed? look
around,You don`t see this.. ,FOR SALE: CB amplifier runs1000 watts on
citizens band,no license needed.You do see this.. HAM AMPLIFIER ,,ON
TEN METERS , runs 1000 watts output with 2 watts input...Maybe you
get it,maybe you don1t,,,who cares ,,,,my last post on the
subject ...W4PQW

Don Bowey October 23rd 08 05:27 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/23/08 8:46 AM, in article
,

geek wrote:
[...]

There is a LARGE difference between (A) caring that CB is being used as a
illegal profit center and (B) feeling that I should share some guilt for it.

I got my first ham ticket in 53, but I haven't received any entitlement from
that. Do I get points for the length of time?

I feel more responsibility for seeing the illegal CB power Amp seller get
caught because I have a Commercial radio license (55), but I still feel no
guilt for the situation.

It's unfortunate for you that you do not see what ham radio has to offer.

I suspect you spend a lot of time on 2M.

Scott Dorsey October 23rd 08 06:07 PM

Don Bowey wrote:

There is a LARGE difference between (A) caring that CB is being used as a
illegal profit center and (B) feeling that I should share some guilt for it.

I don't feel any guilt, but I feel a whole lot of shame. I live in a
country where truck stops can hang out a big sign saying "Stop In When
You're Ready For a Big Radio" and CB shops can set up a continuous tape
loop advertising illegal linears on channel 19. This is shameful.

Yes, it's true that you and I can do nothing about it, and the FCC is
unwilling to do anything about it. And THAT is what is shameful.

And the folks that we keep electing into public office don't care. And
that is even more shameful.
--scott

Don Bowey October 23rd 08 06:12 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/23/08 10:07 AM, in article , "Scott
Dorsey" wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

There is a LARGE difference between (A) caring that CB is being used as a
illegal profit center and (B) feeling that I should share some guilt for it.

I don't feel any guilt, but I feel a whole lot of shame. I live in a
country where truck stops can hang out a big sign saying "Stop In When
You're Ready For a Big Radio" and CB shops can set up a continuous tape
loop advertising illegal linears on channel 19. This is shameful.

Yes, it's true that you and I can do nothing about it, and the FCC is
unwilling to do anything about it. And THAT is what is shameful.

And the folks that we keep electing into public office don't care. And
that is even more shameful.
--scott

I agree, and feel a lot of anger about it. When we have laws, the laws need
to be enforced lest it send a message that says no laws are important,
making matters worse. But it still is not a ham problem.

Scott Dorsey October 23rd 08 06:58 PM

Don Bowey wrote:

I agree, and feel a lot of anger about it. When we have laws, the laws need
to be enforced lest it send a message that says no laws are important,
making matters worse. But it still is not a ham problem.

Oh, no, it's not a ham problem at all. It's MUCH worse than just that.
--scott

And the discount stores selling touch lamps that flagrantly violate
Part 15 emission regulations are EVEN WORSE.

JB[_3_] October 23rd 08 07:26 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

I agree, and feel a lot of anger about it. When we have laws, the laws
need
to be enforced lest it send a message that says no laws are important,
making matters worse. But it still is not a ham problem.

Oh, no, it's not a ham problem at all. It's MUCH worse than just that.
--scott

And the discount stores selling touch lamps that flagrantly violate
Part 15 emission regulations are EVEN WORSE.
--

Then there are laws that are stupid, but no one can vote them down because
they sound too good to be true. These are the laws that everyone breaks but

Michael Coslo October 23rd 08 07:28 PM

wrote:

[...]

Rspectfully, what are you doing about it?

If it is an illegal amplifier, you can email Ebay and the F.C.C. with
the same email.

Here's a start:

http://www.fcc.gov/contacts.html

I suspect that if both places get the same message then Ebay might just
be more interested in setting things right. I've seen them take plenty
of Amplifier Ad's down, to the point where some legitimate amps are
delisted. IIRC an older SB-200 that would work on 10 meters as-built.

Anyhow, what are you going to do, just tell us how Hams are so awful
today, (to which I most respectfully and vehemently disagree) or turn em
in? A thought... Just complaining to a newsgroup and doing nothing is
the functional equivalent of accepting it and doing nothing

There are bad guys out there. It is our job to root 'em out.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Registered User October 23rd 08 10:17 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:46:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

-snip-
You don`t see this.. ,FOR SALE: CB amplifier runs1000 watts on
citizens band,no license needed.You do see this.. HAM AMPLIFIER ,,ON
TEN METERS , runs 1000 watts output with 2 watts input...Maybe you
get it,maybe you don1t,,,who cares ,,,,my last post on the
subject ...W4PQW

When one gets the "it" what should their feelings be about any
amplifier, commercial or homebrew, that covers 10M?

73 de n4jvp

Kevin Dooks October 24th 08 09:31 AM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:10:19 -0400, "Tio Pedro"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What's the big deal anyway, any clod who can use a soldering iron without

doing him/herself a serious injury can BUILD an 11/10 Meter amp, all ya need
is a schematic and some $$ for parts

1: Legality
2: Spectral Purity
3: Collateral damage to other services
a. making once legal products illegal
b. unlicensed pirates on ham frequencies.

Isn't that enough?

1: Legality, hmm the 'Legality' of amps is purely an arbitrary
decision made by the (laughable) powers that (try) to be.

2: Any half-ways decently built amp, ss or tube, has reasonably clean
output provided it is properly adjusted, the driving signal is clean
and the amp isn't overdriven. I know, lots of conditions.

3: See above answer.

a. See 1 above.

b. Finally a valid point and one with which I am in COMPLETE
agreement!

Buily my first ss amp at 14 from a Motorola data book 150 Wo 80 thru
10, my first tube amp from an ARRL handbook, 1983 I think. 500 Wi,
also 80 thru 10. Ya GOTTA love sweep tubes !!

M0WYM[_2_] October 25th 08 02:09 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sign today!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SaveShortwave/

Don Bowey October 25th 08 04:29 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/25/08 6:09 AM, in article , "M0WYM"
wrote:

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

You're an idiot.

geek October 26th 08 05:56 AM

wrote:

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

You're an idiot.

Sorry, you whiners are.

I've been following this thread and you whiny hams sure make a good case
why the ham bands should go to BPL usage.

JB[_3_] October 26th 08 02:57 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

You're an idiot.

Sorry, you whiners are.

I've been following this thread and you whiny hams sure make a good case
why the ham bands should go to BPL usage.

The great majority of hams pass these posts by because there is no
interest there for the regular hams. You will find fringe types in
all hobbies. This whole thread is a troll to help advertise a shady
procuct (no longer listed/probably sold) to a selected defective
non-ham interest group.

Don Bowey October 26th 08 04:47 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/26/08 7:57 AM, in article , "JB"
wrote:

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

You're an idiot.

Sorry, you whiners are.

I've been following this thread and you whiny hams sure make a good case
why the ham bands should go to BPL usage.

The great majority of hams pass these posts by because there is no
interest there for the regular hams. You will find fringe types in
all hobbies. This whole thread is a troll to help advertise a shady
procuct (no longer listed/probably sold) to a selected defective
non-ham interest group.

If you use the item number you can still see the item.

It did not sell. According to the owner, the minimum was not met, but I see
another story. His other listings have been pulled, so I think Ebay got
this guy thanks to those who took time to report the illegal auction.

JB[_3_] October 26th 08 09:17 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

This whole thread is a troll to help advertise a shady
procuct (no longer listed/probably sold) to a selected defective
non-ham interest group.

If you use the item number you can still see the item.

It did not sell. According to the owner, the minimum was not met, but I

see
another story. His other listings have been pulled, so I think Ebay got
this guy thanks to those who took time to report the illegal auction.

I also noticed he was buying stuff from Henry Radio, so he did at least do
some of the manufacture.so no amount of self-serving tricks and excuses can
save him from prosecution.

geek October 27th 08 11:56 AM

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:57:24 +0000, JB wrote:

If either of you cared one iota about amateur radio you would stop
calling each other jerks and perhaps grow up a little!

You're an idiot.

Sorry, you whiners are.

I've been following this thread and you whiny hams sure make a good case
why the ham bands should go to BPL usage.

The great majority of hams pass these posts by because there is no
interest there for the regular hams. You will find fringe types in
all hobbies. This whole thread is a troll to help advertise a shady
procuct (no longer listed/probably sold) to a selected defective
non-ham interest group.

You are correct.

My humble apologies to the sane hams out there.

Cheers!