RadioBanter

-   -   When can a radio be called "vintage"? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/139211-when-can-radio-called-vintage.html)

Sindre Torp December 8th 08 08:57 PM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

Hi,

What is the usual definition of a "vintage radio"? I believe it's 30 years
or older. Am I right?
Thanks in advance for point of views on this.

73,
Sindre, LA6OP

Scott Dorsey December 8th 08 11:48 PM

Sindre Torp wrote:
What is the usual definition of a "vintage radio"? I believe it's 30 years
or older. Am I right?

On Ebay, a thing is "Vintage" as soon as you get it home. Witness the
Chinese plastic radios that are "RARE VINTAGE JUST LIKE COLLINS" and
the like.
--scott

Henry Kolesnik December 8th 08 11:50 PM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

Vintage is a meaningless term unless you're talking about wine and then
it's price..
Radios don't get better as they age!

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Bert Hyman December 8th 08 11:59 PM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

In "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Vintage is a meaningless term unless you're talking about wine and
then it's price..

In wine, "vintage" refers only to the year in which it was bottled, as
in "vintage 2008."

Radios don't get better as they age!

Few things do, but people like to collect old things nonetheless.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

David G. Nagel December 9th 08 12:29 AM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

Bert Hyman wrote:
In "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Vintage is a meaningless term unless you're talking about wine and
then it's price..

In wine, "vintage" refers only to the year in which it was bottled, as
in "vintage 2008."

Radios don't get better as they age!

Few things do, but people like to collect old things nonetheless.

I would classify a radio as "VINTAGE" if it only has tubes or discrete
transistors.

Jan[_4_] December 9th 08 06:38 PM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

David G. Nagel wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
In "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Vintage is a meaningless term unless you're talking about wine and
then it's price..

In wine, "vintage" refers only to the year in which it was bottled, as
in "vintage 2008."

Radios don't get better as they age!

Few things do, but people like to collect old things nonetheless.

I would classify a radio as "VINTAGE" if it only has tubes or discrete
transistors.

Vintage mean obsolete. Or rubbish. Mostly highly overrated.

Jan

Phil Nelson December 10th 08 01:00 AM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

There is no agreed (or meaningful) definition for "vintage" in a radio
context.

Phil Nelson

k3hvg December 10th 08 11:56 AM

Phil Nelson wrote:
There is no agreed (or meaningful) definition for "vintage" in a radio
context.

Phil Nelson

Other than you know one when you see it......HI!!!

de K3HVG

Stray Dog December 12th 08 01:49 PM

When can a radio be called "vintage"?

And, sometimes, too much to drink is not enough.