Old December 12th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Final tubes for SR-500

The Hallicrafters SR-500 utilizes a pair of Tung-sol 8236s.

The 8236 seems to be identical to the 6DQ5, except for plate dissipation (50W
against 25W) thanks to the use of a carbon plate.

The 8236 seems to be available nowhere.

Any suggestion where to find them?

73

Tony I0JX

Old December 12th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in message
The Hallicrafters SR-500 utilizes a pair of Tung-sol 8236s.

The 8236 seems to be identical to the 6DQ5, except for plate dissipation
(50W against 25W) thanks to the use of a carbon plate.

The 8236 seems to be available nowhere.

Any suggestion where to find them?

73

Tony I0JX

I think the 6DQ5 plate voltage is lower. Rare tube, they show on eBay
every so often. They were used in the Clegg Apollo as well. I looked
at a few suppliers I use and no luck.

Pete

Old December 12th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
The Hallicrafters SR-500 utilizes a pair of Tung-sol 8236s.

The 8236 seems to be identical to the 6DQ5, except for plate dissipation
(50W against 25W) thanks to the use of a carbon plate.

The 8236 seems to be available nowhere.

Any suggestion where to find them?

73

Tony I0JX

Your best bet is ebay or trawling round the hamfests but like any
special tube they will not be easy to find or cheap, I'm looking for a
8873 for my Heathkit SB230 if anyone has a few going spare ....

If you can't find them you may need to look at converting to something
more readily available. Is there room for a pair of 6LQ6's? if not a
pair of 6146B would be a good choice as they will take a KV and can
still be obtained NOS, the GE 6146W that is sold cheaply on ebay is fine
with 1100V on the anode and 280V on the screen (You will need a small
computer fan to keep them cool)

Steve H
Old December 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:36:58 +0100, Antonio Vernucci wrote:

The Hallicrafters SR-500 utilizes a pair of Tung-sol 8236s.

The 8236 seems to be identical to the 6DQ5, except for plate dissipation
(50W against 25W) thanks to the use of a carbon plate.

The 8236 seems to be available nowhere.

Any suggestion where to find them?

73

Tony I0JX

You didn't look far. http://www.tubesandmore.com/ has them. Granted,
it's over $80/ea, but "way expensive" is different from "not there".

(I wish I got a kickback from those folks, I really do).

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com