RadioBanter

-   -   Local oscillator below the station frequency--why? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/141075-local-oscillator-below-station-frequency-why.html)

[email protected] February 19th 09 12:26 AM

Local oscillator below the station frequency--why?

I recently refurbished a Hallicrafters 5R105 and, while performing a
re-alignment, discovered that on the Band 4 (14 to 31 MHz) the local
oscillator (LO) is below the station frequency, whereas on the three
lower bands, the LO is above.

So my question is this: Why engineer a tuning system for the high end
of the shortwave spectrum to place the LO below the station
frequency?

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

COLIN LAMB February 19th 09 01:57 AM

Local oscillator below the station frequency--why?

"Why engineer a tuning system for the high end
of the shortwave spectrum to place the LO below the station
frequency?"

One good reason is stability. The high frequency oscillators in these
receivers are less than perfect. So, by using the lower frequency for the
oscillator injection, rather than the upper frequency, you will achieve a
slight, but noticeable improvement in stability.

For example, if you have a 15 MHz receive frequency and a 500 kHz i.f., you
could use either 14.5 MHz as the oscillator frequency or 15.5 MHz. Using
14.5 MHz would yield a 7% inprovement in stability. In addition, the coils
in the oscillator, the tube and the tube socket, like the lower frequency.
One other really minor advantage is that some tubes, particularly the 6C4,
drops off on the high frequency end as emission decreases - so the
oscillator tube might just work a bit longer.

73, Colin K7FM

Tio Pedro February 19th 09 02:03 AM

wrote in message
I recently refurbished a Hallicrafters 5R105 and, while performing a
re-alignment, discovered that on the Band 4 (14 to 31 MHz) the local
oscillator (LO) is below the station frequency, whereas on the three
lower bands, the LO is above.

So my question is this: Why engineer a tuning system for the high end
of the shortwave spectrum to place the LO below the station
frequency?

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

It would be unusual. A quick check is to see if the LO is above
or below the signal at the LOW end of the tuning range. I've
quite a few shortwave sets that were properly aligned for
high side injection at the low end, and improperly set for
low side injection at the upper end of the band.
Needless to say the midrange sensitivity was practically nil.

It's pretty easy to set the
high end of dial for the wrong side LO injection because
of the wide authority range of the LO trimmer.

I can't think of any advantage--usually high side inj.
is beneficial on the lower ranges to keep LO harmonics
from falling the tuning range or the RX.

Pete

Bill M[_3_] February 19th 09 03:16 AM

Tio Pedro wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Its a real gripe of mine! The image rejection is so poor on the top
band of many consumer grade radios that its really a moot point and the
only way to guess which side the injection goes is by evaluating which
side suffers the worse dial tracking...and often thats so close a call
its difficult to say which was intended.

-Bill

COLIN LAMB February 19th 09 04:24 AM

Local oscillator below the station frequency--why?

"The image rejection is so poor on the top band of many consumer grade
radios that its really a moot point and the
only way to guess which side the injection goes is by evaluating which side
suffers the worse dial tracking..."

Right. I recently went through just this problem. Radio had been twiddled
with. The service information said nothing about whether low or high side
injection was used. I used the trial and error method to figure it out. I
looked through two different service instructions and both were silent.

The good news is that single conversion radios, with 1 rf amplifier stage,
are rarely used above 20 meters anyway, these days.

73, Colin K7FM

Tim Wescott February 19th 09 04:34 AM

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:16:57 -0700, Bill M wrote:

Tio Pedro wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

All of my handbooks from the '40s through the '60s have converters to
take the signal down to 40m or below, for just that reason.

20MHz down to 0.455MHz is just a conversion too far.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Michael Black[_2_] February 19th 09 05:10 AM

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, COLIN LAMB wrote:

"The image rejection is so poor on the top band of many consumer grade
radios that its really a moot point and the
only way to guess which side the injection goes is by evaluating which side
suffers the worse dial tracking..."

Right. I recently went through just this problem. Radio had been twiddled
with. The service information said nothing about whether low or high side
injection was used. I used the trial and error method to figure it out. I
looked through two different service instructions and both were silent.

I remember one review for a low end receiver, and I can't remember which
receiver or which magazine, and they outright said there was so little
image rejection that they couldn't tell which was real and which was
the image.

On the other hand, I recently reread a review for the Radio Shack sw
receiver from the late sixties, transistorized and something like the
DX-150, and it praised the receiver for it's image rejection even on the
highest band. I suspect it was thus a very generous review.

The good news is that single conversion radios, with 1 rf amplifier stage,
are rarely used above 20 meters anyway, these days.

Of course, that's apples and oranges. The frequency of the IF factors
in, and it's not the single conversion that matters, but the signal
frequency versus the IF frequency.

Michael VE2BVW

Tim Wescott February 19th 09 05:37 AM

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:10:43 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

[...]

Kinda yes, kinda no. It's much easier to get a high 1st IF and a nice
narrow overall response in a double conversion superhet than a single.

Having said that, my Galaxy 5 worked pretty well with a 9MHz IF and
single conversion.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Bill M[_3_] February 19th 09 07:07 AM

Tim Wescott wrote:

Having said that, my Galaxy 5 worked pretty well with a 9MHz IF and
single conversion.

Apples and oranges since the Galaxy made no attempt to cover BCB range
ad certainly had no BCB parallel.

3200 kc Infradyne comes to mind as a "high IF scheme" for BCB but I
can't think of any older single conversion rig that used a high IF freq
for BCB? Ok, theres some 1600-17oo kc schemes. The older mindset was to
go lower in freq for improved Q.

Tio Pedro February 19th 09 11:24 AM

"Bill M" wrote in message
Tio Pedro wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It is not a moot point... Usually the bottom tracking is fixed on
the higher bands (no padder or slug for the LO coil). If the LO on
the high end of the dial is set to the wrong side,
the mid band sensitivity will
be Zilch. Usually checking LO frequency on the lowest end
of the dial will show if it is supposed to be hi or lo side injection.