RadioBanter

-   -   WW2 Lancaster bomber radios, info wanted. (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/151393-ww2-lancaster-bomber-radios-info-wanted.html)

Engineer[_2_] May 16th 10 11:33 PM

WW2 Lancaster bomber radios, info wanted.

Hi, I'm looking for some historical information.
The Canadian Air & Space Museum, Toronto, Canada is restoring the1944
Avro 683 Lancaster X heavy bomber number FM104 for static display,
see http://casmuseum.org/avro_683_lancaster_x.shtml.
I am restoring and recommissioning the radios for this A/C. They are
all Bendix, viz: Receiver RA 10D, Remote Tuning Unit and Transmitter
TA-12, also Interphone, DF, etc, see http://www.radiomilitari.com/ra10d.html
for a couple of these units.
We are planning to demonstrate some of these avionics at "Wings &
Wheels" on May 29 and 30, 2010, see http://www.wingsandwheelsfestival.com/home.html.
For this demo I'm preparing labels for each item, plus an overall
introduction to the radio equipment.
My understanding was that WW2 British Lancs used the 1155/1154 gear
while most Canadian Lancs used the Bendix gear. However, in the
Hammond Radio Museum, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, http://www.hammondmuseumofradio.org/
there is a photo of a Canadian Air Force radio technician sitting at a
WW2 Lancaster radio table equipped with R1155/T1154 gear.
Does anyone know which Canadian Lancasters used the Bendix RA 10D
receiver/TA12 transmitter and which used the UK manufactured (EKCO,
Marconi, Plessey or EMI) R1155 receiver/T1154 transmitter?
I think all RAF Lancasters used the R1155/T1154 gear, see Duxford
radio society page http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/e...155-v1mod3.pdf.
But, from the Hammond Radio Museum photo, it appears that some
Canadian Aircraft did too. I wonder how many.
Thanks for all replies,
Cheers,
Roger

Scott Dorsey May 17th 10 04:12 PM

Engineer wrote:
introduction to the radio equipment.
My understanding was that WW2 British Lancs used the 1155/1154 gear
while most Canadian Lancs used the Bendix gear. However, in the
Hammond Radio Museum, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, http://www.hammondmuseumofradio.org/
there is a photo of a Canadian Air Force radio technician sitting at a
WW2 Lancaster radio table equipped with R1155/T1154 gear.
Does anyone know which Canadian Lancasters used the Bendix RA 10D
receiver/TA12 transmitter and which used the UK manufactured (EKCO,
Marconi, Plessey or EMI) R1155 receiver/T1154 transmitter?
I think all RAF Lancasters used the R1155/T1154 gear, see Duxford
radio society page http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/e...155-v1mod3.pdf.

I don't know about Canadian aircraft production. But I know that on the
US manufacturing lines they were churning aircraft out as quickly as possible,
all three shifts going. When a particular device was unavailable, there would
be quick re-engineering to put something else in. So a lot of the American
aircraft had some pretty dramatic changes over their production run and
accurate records weren't really kept. So a lot of it becomes a matter of
looking for the particular configuration for a particular aircraft.

And then after the war all that ARC-5 junk was selling for pennies on the
dollar.
--scott

coffelt2 May 20th 10 07:49 AM

WW2 Lancaster bomber radios, info wanted. (ARC-5 Junk?)

I don't know about Canadian aircraft production. But I know that on the
US manufacturing lines they were churning aircraft out as quickly as
possible,
all three shifts going. When a particular device was unavailable, there
would
be quick re-engineering to put something else in. So a lot of the
American
aircraft had some pretty dramatic changes over their production run and
accurate records weren't really kept. So a lot of it becomes a matter of
looking for the particular configuration for a particular aircraft.

And then after the war all that ARC-5 junk was selling for pennies on the
dollar.
--scott

Oh, the "snobbery"! "ARC-5 junk"? In the "day", these honeys were the
hottest "junk" around!
Hot receivers, great "Q5ers", VFOs, 100 watt transmitters (with a bit of
"youp-di-youp-youp admittedly)
"phasing" SSB exciters and finals, cool sounding dynamotors....... Junk?
Come on, Dad, you're joking?

Grinning with you,

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ