RadioBanter

-   -   Farnsworth NBFM VHF Radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/183530-farnsworth-nbfm-vhf-radio.html)

Rob Doyle[_2_] December 30th 11 08:16 AM

Farnsworth NBFM VHF Radio

When I was a Novice, ca 1970, a local old-timer Ham loaned me
a Farnsworth Radio that was crystalled for the local 34/94
2 meter repeater.

The unit was a rack that was about 3 ft by 2 ft and had a
transmitter unit, a receiver unit, and a 60 Hz power supply
unit - all sitting side-by-side. Each unit could be removed
from the rack independently.

I recall the transmitter had an 829B in the final - the power
supply was full of mercury vapor tubes. The story was that
it was intended for use on trains. Either way it was
a 2 man lift.

I've searched several times for information on it but I've
never found any mention of Farnsworth VHF equipment.

Does anybody recognize this from my description?

Rob
WA3TGF

Scott Dorsey December 30th 11 05:21 PM

Farnsworth NBFM VHF Radio

Rob Doyle wrote:
When I was a Novice, ca 1970, a local old-timer Ham loaned me
a Farnsworth Radio that was crystalled for the local 34/94
2 meter repeater.

The unit was a rack that was about 3 ft by 2 ft and had a
transmitter unit, a receiver unit, and a 60 Hz power supply
unit - all sitting side-by-side. Each unit could be removed
from the rack independently.

I recall the transmitter had an 829B in the final - the power
supply was full of mercury vapor tubes. The story was that
it was intended for use on trains. Either way it was
a 2 man lift.

I've searched several times for information on it but I've
never found any mention of Farnsworth VHF equipment.

Does anybody recognize this from my description?

The problem with most of that military gear is that it was made by dozens
of different companies on different contracts, so even though the unit you
had was a Farnsworth product doesn't mean that all of the other ones were.

That sounds a little bit like an ARC-4.
--scott