Old October 7th 17, 12:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Mechanical scanners?

Dabbling as I am with horology at the moment, I
wonder if there were any mechanical scanners, other
than those which successively activated Ledex switches?

What I am thinking might have been, is a pendulum
or platform escapement slowly advancing a tuning condenser.

Old October 7th 17, 12:14 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 07/10/2017 12:12, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Dabbling as I am with horologyÂ* at the moment, I
wonder if there were any mechanical scanners, other
than those which successively activated Ledex switches?

What I am thinking might have been, is a pendulum
or platform escapement slowly advancing a tuning condenser.

PS. Even clockwork toy trains had the means to engage
reverse when reaching the end of travel.

Old October 7th 17, 07:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:14:00 +0100, Gareth's Downstairs Computer
coalesced the vapors
of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 07/10/2017 12:12, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Dabbling as I am with horology* at the moment, I
wonder if there were any mechanical scanners, other
than those which successively activated Ledex switches?

What I am thinking might have been, is a pendulum
or platform escapement slowly advancing a tuning condenser.

PS. Even clockwork toy trains had the means to engage
reverse when reaching the end of travel.

I had a Regonda Symphony radiogram that did that, and was able to
automatically stop on a station by monitoring the AGC voltage.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 7th 17, 07:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 07/10/2017 19:35, Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:14:00 +0100, Gareth's Downstairs Computer
coalesced the vapors
of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 07/10/2017 12:12, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Dabbling as I am with horologyÂ* at the moment, I
wonder if there were any mechanical scanners, other
than those which successively activated Ledex switches?

What I am thinking might have been, is a pendulum
or platform escapement slowly advancing a tuning condenser.

PS. Even clockwork toy trains had the means to engage
reverse when reaching the end of travel.

I had a Regonda Symphony radiogram that did that, and was able to
automatically stop on a station by monitoring the AGC voltage.

That's very interesting. Did you have to wind up the clockwork, or
was it electrically powered?

Old October 7th 17, 10:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 19:46:15 +0100, Gareth's Downstairs Computer
[...]

dc brush motor I think.
Actually it looks as if my Symphony didn't have the auto tune, it was
its bigger brother the Rigonda Bolshoi that had it.

Here is a Usenet article discussing Regonda radiogrammes in which I go
all off topic and talk about 23 channel AM CB DX during 1968.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.t...E/Dqoqi8rbGm4J
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%