RadioBanter

-   -   how to use the hammarlund hq 145a (tunning) (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/279727-how-use-hammarlund-hq-145a-tunning.html)

Fernan Bolando October 26th 19 02:50 PM

how to use the hammarlund hq 145a (tunning)

hi all

i was listening to a few stations using my hammarlund hq-145a. i noticed that
the band spread dial seems close in terms calibration. The main dial after
i set the bandspread to 100 vertical line, stations seems 450 to 550kcs off.
I tried to listen to a reference oscillator i can hear it in two places using
the main dial. i hear it on both -250kc and +500kc approximately.

does this make sense to anybody?

regards
ferna ve4feb

Ralph Mowery October 26th 19 03:10 PM

how to use the hammarlund hq 145a (tunning)

In article ,
says...

i was listening to a few stations using my hammarlund hq-145a. i noticed that
the band spread dial seems close in terms calibration. The main dial after
i set the bandspread to 100 vertical line, stations seems 450 to 550kcs off.
I tried to listen to a reference oscillator i can hear it in two places using
the main dial. i hear it on both -250kc and +500kc approximately.

does this make sense to anybody?

regards
ferna ve4feb

If a receiver has an IF of 455 kc then it is possiable to receive a
signal at its origional frequency on the dial and an image signal 455
kc away from it.

The local oscilator in the receiver mixes with an incomming signal and
generates a signal plus and minus the IF .

Do a Google search for image frequency for detailed information.

Fernan Bolando October 26th 19 05:32 PM

On 2019-10-26, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

i was listening to a few stations using my hammarlund hq-145a. i noticed that
the band spread dial seems close in terms calibration. The main dial after
i set the bandspread to 100 vertical line, stations seems 450 to 550kcs off.
I tried to listen to a reference oscillator i can hear it in two places using
the main dial. i hear it on both -250kc and +500kc approximately.

does this make sense to anybody?

regards
ferna ve4feb

If a receiver has an IF of 455 kc then it is possiable to receive a
signal at its origional frequency on the dial and an image signal 455
kc away from it.

The local oscilator in the receiver mixes with an incomming signal and
generates a signal plus and minus the IF .

Do a Google search for image frequency for detailed information.

that is what i thought too and it makes sense when the tunning range is set to
4-10 mcs. The man dial is off by approx -120 to -200kcs and the image is
455+455kcs away from that.

but at tunning range 10-30 the double conversion is suppose to remove the image
frequency right? any chance i might be overloading the front causing weird
harmonics in the mixer?

fernan

Scott Dorsey November 5th 19 03:08 PM

Fernan Bolando wrote:

i was listening to a few stations using my hammarlund hq-145a. i noticed that
the band spread dial seems close in terms calibration. The main dial after
i set the bandspread to 100 vertical line, stations seems 450 to 550kcs off.
I tried to listen to a reference oscillator i can hear it in two places using
the main dial. i hear it on both -250kc and +500kc approximately.

does this make sense to anybody?

If you turn the reference oscillator level down, is there some point at which
one of those two signals abruptly disappears?
--scott