Old June 28th 03, 05:00 AM
Gary S.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:47:21 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
. com...
UPDATE

Guys, it seems I may be eating crow, but after two weeks I have
received my radio. Let it be known right now that nobody is more
shocked than I. While this situation does have a happy ending, heed
these warnings which are good for both buyers and sellers, which I
have learned (and should have noticed):

Two weeks??? How did you have it sent? USPS and UPS ground could very
easily take that long from HI to the mainland. I've seen UPS ground take
7-8 days from Oklahoma to Washington..

If you look at any of the "Next Day" or "Second Day" services, you
will note that that number of days is only guaranteed for certain
areas. If either end of the transaction is outside those areas, it
will take longer.

Ground service will of course take even longer.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old June 28th 03, 05:20 PM
Robert Cuthbert

Ebay is safe if you check your seller first. If he has negative
feedback check 'who and why'.I've had no problems with Buyers - "I gets
my money I ships." My only complaint is the number of "tire kickers" who
ask time consuming questions with no intention of bidding. But that
happens in stores too you just have to grin and bear it.

Walt wrote:

Hi,

No more of a breeding ground then the local hamfests, swap meets or local
newpapers
qth.com, eham.net arrl.org etc...

If I get taken at the local hamfest, you will never know about it, on Ebay
everyone hears
about a scam from the usenet.

It is easy to get caught up in auction 'excitement' and the thrill of
'winning'
we have to remember it is a purchase (or sale) just like buying a car or
ordering dinner out.

Feedback is the key, I have dealt with many new ebayers, even I was a new
ebay guy.
my first deal was a purchase for $ 400 from an established seller with 100 %
feedbacks.

Just ask a lot of questions on the items you want to buy, if you don't like
the answers, just pass it up.

Nice thing, if the item is not sold it can be relisted and you can get
another chance or
another seller will have what you want.

Did I tell you about the time that used car dealer sold me that car that was
driven by his mother ?

73 walt

Robert wrote:

Ebay IS a breeding ground for scams, In My Opinion...

Bob

Old June 28th 03, 07:15 PM
Edward Lewis

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:20:31 -0400, Robert Cuthbert
wrote:
I have a friend who bid on a camera and won it. the seller had 100%
positive rating so he paid with paypal. The camera never showed up the
seller answered his email and said it was on the way.it never showed
up. When my friend checked his feedback again he had 19 negative feed
backs for not delivering his items. What he did was sell a few items
to get a positive rating and than he sold a lot of fictitious items.
My friend called his credit card company and stopped payment.Pay pal
emailed him and told him that is not the way to get his money back ,
but it was ok this time. The seller lives in Hawaii but is not Dale
Knight.

Robert wrote:

Ebay IS a breeding ground for scams, In My Opinion...

Bob

Edward Lewis KQ6DX

Old June 29th 03, 03:13 PM
Paul Vanasse

"Walt" wrote in message
Hi,

No more of a breeding ground then the local hamfests, swap meets or local
newpapers
qth.com, eham.net arrl.org etc...

If I get taken at the local hamfest, you will never know about it, on Ebay
everyone hears
about a scam from the usenet.

Its one thing to get screwed by a guy who you're looking in the eye and
probably doesn't live that far from your QTH than it is by some BS artist
the lives 3000 miles away, of whom your only recourse is to flame him on
Ebay or the NG's.

Old June 30th 03, 05:57 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:04:24 -0500, S. Miller hath writ:

My friend called his credit card company and stopped payment.Pay pal
emailed him and told him that is not the way to get his money back

Actually, that _is_ the way to get his money back, but PayPal would
prefer their
customers not go directly to the credit card company because if the
credit card
company agrees with the claim then PayPal is out the bucks since
technically PayPal
is the selling merchant, at least as far as the credit card transaction
is concerned.
Instead, PayPal would rather you give up your rights as a consumer and
let them 'arbitrate' the dispute...

Let us not forget that PayPal *is* EBay.

They want to get you coming _and_ going.

73
Jonesy

Old July 13th 03, 08:30 PM
Dean Arthur

I guess if I couldn't afford to drive to the guy's house and ask for my
money back that I'd file a written complaint with all ham groups,
businesses his locality and credit organizations. At some point the
idiot has to squeal for relief.

Old July 13th 03, 08:33 PM
Dean Arthur

So where in western states is this gonniff located? Once years ago I
gave some money to someone. It kept coming up with excuses why unable to
pay back. Ended up costing it almost six times for me to achieve
satisfaction.

Old July 13th 03, 09:02 PM
--Bill--

Dean Arthur wrote:
I guess if I couldn't afford to drive to the guy's house and ask for my
money back that I'd file a written complaint with all ham groups,
businesses his locality and credit organizations. At some point the
idiot has to squeal for relief.

Didn't this thread end about two weeks ago?
-Bill

Old July 13th 03, 09:11 PM
Phil Witt

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:02:04 -0400, --Bill--
wrote:

Didn't this thread end about two weeks ago?
-Bill

Yeah. Maybe the dems need to present a bill to force news servers to
have the same retention times.
Old July 13th 03, 10:30 PM
Mike Fallon

On 7/13/03 1:02 PM, --Bill-- wrote:
Dean Arthur wrote:

I guess if I couldn't afford to drive to the guy's house and ask for my
money back that I'd file a written complaint with all ham groups,
businesses his locality and credit organizations. At some point the
idiot has to squeal for relief.

Didn't this thread end about two weeks ago?
-Bill

Dale Kight ripped me off for $200 in May of 2000. Took my money and
didn't deliver the equipment. (Check the archives for my posts in
July of 2000) He lives in Maui, so is hard to get to. Some day I
will take a vacation trip to sunny Hawaii.

Gary Dion, the fellow who had the latest go-around with Kight, was
lucky to get his deal completed, in my opinion. And then there was
some fellow who was taken to the cleaners by Kight around 1996. I
think it was Alan Gray, W3BV.

So I would like the thread to continue as long as possible.......

Be careful of this guy.

73,

Mike Fallon K6YOQ