RadioBanter

-   -   Tube Testers??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/3312-tube-testers.html)

Hockeyguy September 7th 03 07:39 PM

Tube Testers???

Hi gang,
I'm in the market for a nice tube tester. What is the expert opinion
out there on what model to look for? I'd like to get one that test for
mutual conductance as I understand that would be the most accurate. Which
are the best? B & K? Hickok? Any input would be appreciated!

Tks in advance,
Steve K2FW

Dale H. Cook September 7th 03 08:45 PM

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:39:58 -0400, "Hockeyguy" wrote:

I'd like to get one that test for
mutual conductance as I understand that would be the most accurate. Which
are the best? B & K? Hickok?

Steve -

I'm a Hickok fan - I've owned a 533 for about 25 years. The 6xx and
6xxx series Hickoks don't have as many features as the 53x series, but
will do what you need and are generally less expensive at meets and
from other sources.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, WWWR Roanoke VA, WCQV Moneta VA, WKBA WZZI Vinton VA, WKPA WLNI WZZU Lynchburg VA, WMNA / WMNA-FM Gretna VA
The Star City Pages - Antique Radios & Test Equipment, Engineering, Computers: http//members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml

Michael Melland September 8th 03 01:53 PM

Hickock's are nice.... I especially like the 752A

Triplett 3444 or 3444A actually test the tubes "harder" (better)

Military TV-7's especially the D/U are very popular.

Mike, W9WIS

Dale H. Cook September 8th 03 04:40 PM

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:39:58 -0400, "Hockeyguy" wrote:

Which are the best?

For really critical testing, or for parameters outside the range of a
tube tester (i.e. 6528, with a mutual conductance of 37,000 micromhos)
I now use a GR vacuum tube bridge.