Old October 5th 03, 02:24 AM
NoSpam4Me

Default FS: Knight KG600B Tube Tester

Knight KG-600B Tube Tester
Excellent shape - just missing top cover.
Internal chart included. Good working condition.
Will sell for $50.00 plus shipping

See web page for details.
Do not reply direct to this ad - using a spam
blocked address.

Reply ONLY to the e-mail address on web page.

For picture and details see:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/happysurfer/miscpart.htm

and
http://home.cfl.rr.com/happysurfer/radios.htm

Old October 6th 03, 08:49 PM
Scott Dorsey

John Goller, k9uwa wrote:
In article ,
says...

Knight KG-600B Tube Tester
Excellent shape - just missing top cover.
Internal chart included. Good working condition.
Will sell for $50.00 plus shipping

OK U guys without any test equipment ... here is a toob tester
for 50 bucks.... Brian didn't put any pictures of it on his
web site... so ask if it covers the 4,5,6,7,8 pin old style
tubes ... I am betting it does..

I believe it does, but what you need to ask is whether it is a real
transconductance tester or just a mutual conductance tester.
--scott

Old October 6th 03, 09:05 PM
Leo

....I'm sure you meant "real transconductance tester or just an
emission tester" in the sentence below....I believe that
"Transconductance" and "Mutual Conductance" are synonomous WRT tube
testers!

IIRC, the Knight 600B is an emission type tester.

73, Leo

snip

Old October 6th 03, 09:12 PM
Hagstar

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I believe it does, but what you need to ask is whether it is a real
transconductance tester or just a mutual conductance tester.

It's 50 bucks- likely it's an emission tester. These are much more
useful than, say, a TV7 because you can own it now and not have to save
money for years. If a person would like to use a Hickok but never buys
one and has to guess as to tubes, how are they ahead of the game? I'm
absolutely certain many of you would say it's MUCH better that they
NEVER buy a tester their entire lives if they can't afford a high end
Hickok. Yeah, everything else is a toy, uh huh- and the TV7 doesn't even
give a direct reading IIRC but requires math each time !

That's a bit like my hippie friends here who walk to work because their
1959 VW Transporter is perpetually in the shop or a ditch (they can't
bear to be seen driving a less than cool car).

John H.

Old October 6th 03, 11:09 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Hagstar wrote:

It's 50 bucks- likely it's an emission tester. These are much more
useful than, say, a TV7 because you can own it now and not have to save
money for years. If a person would like to use a Hickok but never buys
one and has to guess as to tubes, how are they ahead of the game? I'm
absolutely certain many of you would say it's MUCH better that they
NEVER buy a tester their entire lives if they can't afford a high end
Hickok. Yeah, everything else is a toy, uh huh- and the TV7 doesn't even
give a direct reading IIRC but requires math each time !

Actually, some of the cheap Hickok units are real transconductance testers,
and some of them do show up for next to nothing now and then. They aren't
any TV7, but they sure beat out the drugstore testers.

Some of the emission testers are no better than drugstore testers, and they
have a tendency to indicate perfectly good tubes are bad, or vice-versa.
This can be extremely frustrating if you ask me. They'll find open filaments
and poor emission, but other problems (especially on beam power tubes) do
not show up on them.

When you're paying some of the bloody insane prices on power tubes thes
days, a good tube tester can pay for itself in short order in the tubes
you don't throw out even though they are fine, and in the tubes you don't
have to keep around for substition testing.
--scott