RadioBanter

-   -   HP-8640b opt.323 stability question (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/4660-hp-8640b-opt-323-stability-question.html)

Paul Erickson November 17th 03 07:09 PM

HP-8640b opt.323 stability question

I have an HP-8640b opt.323 signal generator which
seems to be working ok, except the final two digits
on the display keep fluctuating, even after 3 hours
warm up. Is this normal, or do I need to check out
the service manual.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT email:

Mike Andrews November 17th 03 07:49 PM

Paul Erickson wrote:
I have an HP-8640b opt.323 signal generator which
seems to be working ok, except the final two digits
on the display keep fluctuating, even after 3 hours
warm up. Is this normal, or do I need to check out
the service manual.

What's the drift rate? My 8640B (opt 1,2 and 3) drifts a few hundred
Hz an hour when tuned to HF (e.g., 14 MHz), but is acceptably stable
over the short term in that region.

--
.... at the end of the conversation, the guy said "Thanks a lot for
reporting this. If you need more details on our anti-spam policies,

Henry Kolesnik November 19th 03 02:58 AM

I'm not familiae with the 323 option but if the 323 has a "LOCK" use it and
it'll stop the flicker,,
If not read the manual!
hank wd5jfr

KLØS November 19th 03 01:37 PM

As I recall the Option 323 is the militarized version (usually found in a
yellow, hardened travel case) does not have the same phase lock capability
as with the standard 8640....so I'm going to guess that the drift is normal
for that model.

Dino KLØS/4