Old December 10th 03, 11:19 PM
GS

Default FA: The most HIDEOUS homebrew linear I have ever seen! Fun to see

Even if you HATE Ebay posts - just look at this thing!

It's the most horridly constructed piece of gear I think I've ever
seen - at it runs 2KV and half an amp!! LOTS of photos and
description at the above link.

I bought it in '96 for the parts, but have kept it in my own shack
all this time just because it is SO UGLY in a very fun way - it's
like every possible example of how NOT to build something,
and come close to dying in the process. Unbelievable. This
is the definition of a 'widow maker'

I'm hoping someone will buy it to keep it together for the fun
of it, instead of gutting the parts. I am liquidating my shack
(and most of my other clutter too) and don't want it anymore,
but ya GOTTA see this thing! It really is a sight to behold.
And for GOD'S SAKE don't plug it in! I don't even want to
be in the room if you did!

Thanks for looking, and please don't take offense at my post.

Old December 11th 03, 12:36 AM
Brenda Ann

"GS" wrote in message
news.com...

Even if you HATE Ebay posts - just look at this thing!

It's the most horridly constructed piece of gear I think I've ever
seen - at it runs 2KV and half an amp!!

You're right! That IS the ugliest, most crudely constructed thing I have
ever seen. I built better looking AM transmitters than that when I was 19!
(FM, too). You're also right about not plugging it in.. (let alone turning
it on). That fan reminds me of a stirrer in a microwave oven.. kicking the
RF around inside the case.. ROFL..

All in all, good for entertainment purposes....

Old December 11th 03, 01:16 AM
Gregg

Behold, Brenda Ann signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"GS" wrote in message
news.com...

Even if you HATE Ebay posts - just look at this thing!

It's the most horridly constructed piece of gear I think I've ever seen
- at it runs 2KV and half an amp!!

You're right! That IS the ugliest, most crudely constructed thing I
have ever seen. I built better looking AM transmitters than that when I
was 19! (FM, too). You're also right about not plugging it in.. (let
alone turning it on). That fan reminds me of a stirrer in a microwave
oven.. kicking the RF around inside the case.. ROFL..

All in all, good for entertainment purposes....

I have seen home-brew CB linears from rank novices look better.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old December 11th 03, 12:07 PM
Ed Price

"GS" wrote in message
news.com...

[...]

Yeah, it IS crude looking.

I love the little details, like the big holes created by a chain of little
drill holes. And the fan delivers on two levels; first, the blade is
home-made, from a piece of sheet metal, and second, when the blade radius
wouldn't clear the chassis, a triangular hunk was whacked away for blade
clearance. Nice touch.

Front-panel artwork by flow-pen is also very classy.

But the funny thing is that it just might be darned reliable. True, before I
put it on the air, I would do a good smoke test, and I would check it for
spurious and microphonics. But remember, aside from that one unfortunate
mistake, Igor was a good lab assistant.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old December 11th 03, 06:10 PM
Mike Knudsen

Well, frankly I got a bigger kick out of reading your description text than
from the photos! What a riot! I never knew a liability disclaimer could be so
funny!

Now, you gotta give credit to the guy for his homebrew plate connectors. And
the plate choke is very nice, if homebrew.

Too bad he had to relocate the TUNE varicap. And a few other mind-changes.
Is the rectifier tube (only ONE?) really between the finals like that? So the
fan gets three at one blow :-)

Other thing to bear in mind -- having built this mess, and proven it on the
air, the builder could now build a really nice, neat, pretty version, re-using
the parts from the er, prototype. At least he'd get the TUNE cap right the
first time :-)

Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the regen VLF set I built back in high
school. And other things I've built with a nibbling tool. 73, Mike K. AA1UK

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

Old December 12th 03, 06:18 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:19:16 GMT, "GS"

Even if you HATE Ebay posts - just look at this thing!

It's the most horridly constructed piece of gear I think I've ever
seen - at it runs 2KV and half an amp!! LOTS of photos and
description at the above link.

Wellll... Technically you are correct, but had it been a transmitter I
might have been able to have given you a run for the money.

I built my first "homebrew" transmitter using the parts from a TV
chassis. Not the chassis of today, but back when TVs were all tubes
and used a chassis about 2 foot square and 3 to 4 inches deep.
The power transformer was quite a bit bigger than the ones used in
any of today's 100 watt output rigs.
I built the old standard 6AG7 Oscillator with a pair of 6L6s in the
final. I've forgotten if it used a separate driver. At any rate it
was built in one corner of a stripped chassis. Looked kinda lonesome
in there.

It worked, easily ran the 75 watts permitted to a Novice back then and
it was *big* albeit with a center of gravity a bit off center.

Later on after moving up to a Viking Ranger, I stripped all the parts
out and used a 12AT7 as an electronic TR switch. Just one little tube
and that big transformer in one corner of that big steel chassis. I
was able to set the transmitter on the TR switch with lots of room to
spare.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Old December 12th 03, 04:54 PM
Scott Dorsey

Ed Price wrote:

Yeah, it IS crude looking.

I love the little details, like the big holes created by a chain of little
drill holes. And the fan delivers on two levels; first, the blade is
home-made, from a piece of sheet metal, and second, when the blade radius
wouldn't clear the chassis, a triangular hunk was whacked away for blade
clearance. Nice touch.

The fan is kind of scary.

But I have to admit that it's no worse than some of the equipment I built
in high school, and some of the construction techniques are very similar.
Including drilling lots of little holes when I had no Greenlee punch, and
using expanded metal from old oil filters for shielding. Admittedly, the
biggest thing I ever built at the time used a pair of 6L6es as finals, but
it was hot chassis which is even more alarming today.

But I am here and I _almost_ got a WAS with that rig, in spite of solder
joints that a plumber wouldn't have accepted.
--scott

Old December 12th 03, 04:57 PM
Scott Dorsey

Roger Halstead wrote:

I built my first "homebrew" transmitter using the parts from a TV
chassis. Not the chassis of today, but back when TVs were all tubes
and used a chassis about 2 foot square and 3 to 4 inches deep.
The power transformer was quite a bit bigger than the ones used in
any of today's 100 watt output rigs.

I built the old standard 6AG7 Oscillator with a pair of 6L6s in the
final. I've forgotten if it used a separate driver. At any rate it
was built in one corner of a stripped chassis. Looked kinda lonesome
in there.

Did you keep the high voltage cage box and built as much as possible
inside it? I really miss those things... very handy for homebrew
construction and well-shielded.

It worked, easily ran the 75 watts permitted to a Novice back then and
it was *big* albeit with a center of gravity a bit off center.

Later on after moving up to a Viking Ranger, I stripped all the parts
out and used a 12AT7 as an electronic TR switch. Just one little tube
and that big transformer in one corner of that big steel chassis. I
was able to set the transmitter on the TR switch with lots of room to
spare.

The hacksaw is your friend!

What I liked were those aluminum BUD chassis boxes. Much easier to work
with than a steel TV set chassis, but by the time I got them at hamfests,
they usually had quite a few holes in them already.
--scott
Old December 12th 03, 08:11 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Hey, what's the problem? The thing looks great! Why, the controls are even
*labelled*!!

news.com...

Old December 12th 03, 08:50 PM
- - Bill - -

Peter Gottlieb wrote:
Hey, what's the problem? The thing looks great! Why, the controls are even
*labelled*!!

A REAL HAM would have used a Dymo labeler.

-Bill