RadioBanter

-   -   more black beauties (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/5116-more-black-beauties.html)

Yzordderex January 3rd 04 11:47 PM

more black beauties

I am in middle of making Digi-Key order and was hunting for a suitable
replacment for those notorious sprague black beauties. I've searched
Google, but a replacement hasn't been mentioned in the posts I've been
through.

I would prefer a tubular axial leaded part of similar dimensions, but
of course will take what I can get. I suppose any film cap nowadays
would work ok.

any help would be appreciated.

regards,
Bob
N9NEO

- - Bill - - January 3rd 04 11:56 PM

Yzordderex wrote:
I am in middle of making Digi-Key order and was hunting for a suitable
replacment for those notorious sprague black beauties. I've searched
Google, but a replacement hasn't been mentioned in the posts I've been
through.

I would prefer a tubular axial leaded part of similar dimensions, but
of course will take what I can get. I suppose any film cap nowadays
would work ok.

any help would be appreciated.

regards,
Bob
N9NEO

Digikey is not real good for higher voltage axial caps. May I suggest
http://www.justradios.com
Any style will work just fine...be sure to match the voltage or go
higher. I stick with 630 volt ones just to simplify my 'inventory'.
As for size, you'll not find anything near as BIG as the BBs although
the Sprague-Vishay Orange Drops (www.mouser.com) are quite portly.

-Bill M

N4BUQ January 4th 04 01:42 AM

Bob,

Mouser (www.mouser.com) sells a lot of different style caps. They have started
selling Vishay 192P series caps (check out page 440 of catalog number 615).
While they are smaller than the black beauties (and orange), they are axial
lead caps. Sure are easier to install than the good old orange drops. I like
ODs, but those radial leads sure can be a pain sometimes.

73,

Barry - N4BUQ

Dave Edwards January 4th 04 05:04 PM

I've always had good luck with the little yellow jobs from Antique
Electronic Supply.
Never had a problem!!
...Dave
om...