RadioBanter

-   -   FT-221 Mods (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/5358-ft-221-mods.html)

RS2BK January 30th 04 09:13 PM

FT-221 Mods

Any one out there remember a mod for the FT-221 making the
squelch work on ssb/cw. It envolved placing a diode between the
I.F. board and ?

Jim Roseman w9ud
Moline, IL 61265

Jan-Martin Noeding, LA8AK February 22nd 04 09:27 PM

On 30 Jan 2004 21:13:35 GMT, (RS2BK) wrote:

Any one out there remember a mod for the FT-221 making the
squelch work on ssb/cw. It envolved placing a diode between the
I.F. board and ?

Jim Roseman w9ud
Moline, IL 61265

well, you have a difficult problem to solve, probably impossible to
solve. Either by using AGC derived or other IF derived type squelch is
not possible for reasonable threshold level. FT-101/101B/221/225
series have some design faults and cannot easily be cured. I spent
some weeks trying to sort out what was the problem with carrier leak
in FT-101B, and another weak to discover that FT-221 had the same
problem. The carrier leak is so strong that ssb signal is perfectly
well demodulated when the wires between the carrier oscillator and
product detector are removed. The signal seem to follow through the
10.7MHz If stages, probably also the converter.
I have mentioned something about it on the page for FT-221
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/b51.htm

73
Jan-Martin, LA8AK
----