Old February 25th 04, 08:31 PM
harry

Default largest glass tube

Hi Folks:
A guy at work bought his old guitar amp to get looked at. The
tech said he needed new tubes. (probably really doesn't). However, I
needed to bring in my 833A and said he needed 2 tubes like this!! He
was hysterical!
The tech and I got talking about BIG glass tubes. I was wondering if
anyone knows of a bigger glass tube than 833a , 852 , 861, 4-1000a
etc.
Thanks!
Harry
Old February 25th 04, 09:06 PM
Mike Andrews

harry wrote:
Hi Folks:
A guy at work bought his old guitar amp to get looked at. The
tech said he needed new tubes. (probably really doesn't). However, I
needed to bring in my 833A and said he needed 2 tubes like this!! He
was hysterical!
The tech and I got talking about BIG glass tubes. I was wondering if
anyone knows of a bigger glass tube than 833a , 852 , 861, 4-1000a
etc.

Well, there's a ham who has a website of pics of his full-gallon rig,
with one _BIG_ Russian glass tube as the final, all out on 2x2 and 2x4
supports. I don't have that, but someone might remember it. It looked
like the tube was about 18" high.

--
IMHO WinTelnet is one of those situations in which both fish and firearm
are firmly bracketed to the barrel itself, in perfect alignment, and
Old February 25th 04, 11:41 PM
Frank Dresser

"harry" wrote in message
m...
Hi Folks:
A guy at work bought his old guitar amp to get looked at. The
tech said he needed new tubes. (probably really doesn't). However, I
needed to bring in my 833A and said he needed 2 tubes like this!! He
was hysterical!
The tech and I got talking about BIG glass tubes. I was wondering if
anyone knows of a bigger glass tube than 833a , 852 , 861, 4-1000a
etc.
Thanks!
Harry

These are pretty big. They're described as 5 feet tall. They're from
Powel Crosley's 500 kw WLW transmitter:

http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw/wlw3.jpg

This is from:

http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml

Frank Dresser

Old February 26th 04, 12:36 AM
Bill Turner

THE BIGGEST I EVER SAW WERE IN A 150 KW TRANSMITTER IN GERMANY. THEY
WERE TALLER THAN I WAS AND ABOUT 18" THICK. TWO OF THEM SUPPLIED THE
CARRIER WITH ONE OPERATING ONLY ON PEAKS. THE EMERCENCY POWER WAS
SUPPLIED BY A DIESEL RAILROAD ENGINE. WEISSKIRCHEN GERMANY WAS THE
LOCATION. ANY OLD AFNERS AROUND.

CHECK MY WEBSITE: www.dialcover.com
Bill Turner, excuse caps, short answers, stroke.
Business SASE, each order a copy of The Pocket Resource Guide.

Old February 26th 04, 03:33 AM
Gregg

Behold, Frank Dresser signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

http://www.tubecollector.org/rd150yb.htm

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old February 27th 04, 07:45 PM
harry

Wow! Thanks! Cool pics! I'd like to find something like that on eBay!
It sure would make a neat lamp, or tesla coil!
Harry

Old February 27th 04, 08:36 PM
Gregg

Behold, harry signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Wow! Thanks! Cool pics! I'd like to find something like that on eBay!
It sure would make a neat lamp, or tesla coil! Harry

There's a bigger one too, but I can't remember the URL. It was used by
an American propaganda station beaming programming to Cuba, IIRC. It's
all glass, about 6' high and was a self-contained oscillator and 500KW
power amplifier. Only three were ever made.

Old February 29th 04, 04:52 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:41:36 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
om...
Hi Folks:
A guy at work bought his old guitar amp to get looked at. The
tech said he needed new tubes. (probably really doesn't). However, I
needed to bring in my 833A and said he needed 2 tubes like this!! He
was hysterical!
The tech and I got talking about BIG glass tubes. I was wondering if
anyone knows of a bigger glass tube than 833a , 852 , 861, 4-1000a
etc.
Thanks!
Harry

These are pretty big. They're described as 5 feet tall. They're from
Powel Crosley's 500 kw WLW transmitter:

http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw/wlw3.jpg

This is from:

http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml

Good Gawd, but that is a terrible page to try to read after they load
the background!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Frank Dresser

Can you figure out this antenna? Richard Antenna 16 March 1st 04 01:51 AM
Tube tester query? k3hvg Boatanchors 4 February 2nd 04 01:47 AM
FS: Old tube sockets, 4, 5, 6, 7 pin, Hammurlund, GR, ceramic, phenolic,matching plugs, extenders Al Schapira Boatanchors 0 January 19th 04 10:54 PM
FS: Jackson 648 Tube Tester A F Four Kilo Boatanchors 0 January 11th 04 11:46 AM
102-E Western Electric Tube info needed Jim Rayburn Boatanchors 0 August 20th 03 05:15 PM