RadioBanter

-   -   Hallicrafters S 85 question (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/5850-hallicrafters-s-85-question.html)

Mike March 22nd 04 08:24 PM

Hallicrafters S 85 question

I'm nearly done cleaning the chasis of this S 85. All that's left is where
the ink stamps are. One stamp is an inspectors' mark. Another says Mark
1A with the number 199907 under it. The last one is a square box with
I.F...109, R.F....60, and F.T....T46..T18. Anyone know the significance of
these numbers?? I've got another one of these that I'm listening to as I
clean & it has the same markings with different numbers (but the same
inspector OK'd both of them).

Mike

--
email is munged...
please remove your_pants_ to reply.

Mike Andrews March 22nd 04 08:36 PM

Mike wrote:

I'm nearly done cleaning the chasis of this S 85. All that's left is where
the ink stamps are. One stamp is an inspectors' mark. Another says Mark
1A with the number 199907 under it. The last one is a square box with
I.F...109, R.F....60, and F.T....T46..T18. Anyone know the significance of
these numbers?? I've got another one of these that I'm listening to as I
clean & it has the same markings with different numbers (but the same
inspector OK'd both of them).

Probably IF and RF are intermediate and high frequency, respectively,
and FT is final test. I suspect the numbers are employee numbers of
yhe people who did the tests and alignments.

--
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
It's like television without the television part."

Mike March 22nd 04 09:18 PM

(Mike Andrews) wrote in
:

Probably IF and RF are intermediate and high frequency, respectively,
and FT is final test. I suspect the numbers are employee numbers of
yhe people who did the tests and alignments.

I sorta figured what the IF & RF were for, but not the numbers....the FT
had me stumped. FT as final test makes sense and the T18 would translate
to Technician #18. Cool! Now for the number under the Mark 1A (199907).
It's not a serial number--that's on the back of the chassis on a paper
label. Any ideas??
Yea, I know. It probably doesn't matter. I'm sure these stamps will be
gone by the time I finish cleaning, and curiosity has gotten the best of
me.
Thanks Mike!

Mike

Gary Schafer March 22nd 04 09:35 PM

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:18:42 GMT, Mike
wrote:

(Mike Andrews) wrote in
:

Probably IF and RF are intermediate and high frequency, respectively,
and FT is final test. I suspect the numbers are employee numbers of
yhe people who did the tests and alignments.

I sorta figured what the IF & RF were for, but not the numbers....the FT
had me stumped. FT as final test makes sense and the T18 would translate
to Technician #18. Cool! Now for the number under the Mark 1A (199907).
It's not a serial number--that's on the back of the chassis on a paper
label. Any ideas??
Yea, I know. It probably doesn't matter. I'm sure these stamps will be
gone by the time I finish cleaning, and curiosity has gotten the best of
me.
Thanks Mike!

Mike

I would leave the marks there! I think that the "mark 1A" is the
version number. I think there is a 2A etc chassis. I don't know what
the difference is. Maybe small wiring differences.

73
Gary K4FMX

Mike March 22nd 04 10:35 PM

Gary Schafer wrote in
:

I would leave the marks there! I think that the "mark 1A" is the
version number. I think there is a 2A etc chassis. I don't know what
the difference is. Maybe small wiring differences.

73
Gary K4FMX

I've thought about that. Sure will look funny though with the rest of the
chassis bright and shiny and the stamps dull.....

Mike