Old April 19th 05, 10:26 PM
Reggie

Default Racal 6217 calibration question

I just got a Racal 6217 but the frequency dial needs to be calibrated.
What is the procedure for doing this? What frequency should I place
the dial to do this?

Appreciate your help.

Old April 19th 05, 11:02 PM
Chuck Harris

Reggie wrote:
I just got a Racal 6217 but the frequency dial needs to be calibrated.
What is the procedure for doing this? What frequency should I place
the dial to do this?

Appreciate your help.

Hi,

A full calibration of the KHz dial on a Racal 6217 is a difficult process,
but seldom needed.

What is the problem with yours? (note, spec is +/- 1KHz at 100KHz markers)

-Chuck
Old April 20th 05, 02:17 AM
Reggie

I'm a little confused. When I try to pick up WWV at 10 mhz I can't
find it...a hundred up...a hundred down. Picks up fine on SSB and AM
(International Shortwaves) but I don't really know where I'm at on the
band. The preselector seems to work ok on the selected MHz tick. What
do you think might be going on here?

Old April 20th 05, 03:02 AM
Chuck Harris

Reggie wrote:
I'm a little confused. When I try to pick up WWV at 10 mhz I can't
find it...a hundred up...a hundred down. Picks up fine on SSB and AM
(International Shortwaves) but I don't really know where I'm at on the
band. The preselector seems to work ok on the selected MHz tick. What
do you think might be going on here?

Hi Reggie,

First, the preselector is very sharp, so it must be tuned carefully.
If you look on the preselector switch, you will see 2 positions marked
WB, which are intended for when you are tuning the VFO onto the desired
signal frequency Once you are receiving the signal, switch the preselector
selector to the frequency band desired, and carefully tune the center knob
of the preselector switch for a peak in signal strength.

Second, there is a calibrator that will give the usual 100KHz reference
signals for checking the KHz knob.

You might not be aware, but the 6217, uses a very strange setup for the
MHz selection knob. The knob actually turns a cap that tunes a VFO that
both down converts the RF to a 1st IF freq, and is mixed down so it can
also down convert the 1st IF to the 2nd IF frequency. This double mixing
cancels out any error in the MHz selection VFO's frequency setting.

Pretty cool!

This saved RACAL from needing the fist full of crystals, and switch contacts
that were used in the R390, yet still gives crystal stability in band
selection.

-Chuck

Old April 20th 05, 06:08 AM
Reggie

Chuck, come to find out that the frequency received is 17 khz down from
what the dial reads. Is this an alignment problem. If so do you know
where I can a copy of alignment procedures?

Old April 20th 05, 01:09 PM
Chuck Harris

Reggie wrote:
Chuck, come to find out that the frequency received is 17 khz down from
what the dial reads. Is this an alignment problem. If so do you know
where I can a copy of alignment procedures?

Hi Reggie,

There is a knob on the front panel called "Calibrate/Fine Tune". It is
connected to a 25T pot. It allows you to shift the received frequency
relative to the displayed frequency by something more than 50KHz.

The correct proceedure is to set the KHz dial to zero, and turn the AGC
switch to "CAL", Detector mode to "0", and BFO tune to "0". Then you
adjust "Calibrate/Fine Tune" for a zero beat.

Doing an instrument calibration on a 6217 is a very daunting task. I have
done many, and once was quite good at it. It requires (and by that I really
mean requires): RF signal generator (HP606), AF signal generator (HP200AB),
VTVM (HP410C), frequency counter, noise generator (Marconi TF1106), wave
analyzer (HP302A), or better still a spectrum analyzer, Oscilloscope, DVM,
RF voltmeter (Boonton 91H), Sweep Generator (1-7MHz, with accurate markers),
Logrithmic amplifier (Jerrold 500, 1-7 MHz, or HP7562A).

And further, you need a host of adapter cables for the little microdot(IIRC)
connectors that are everywhere in the unit. Depending on the model you have,
the back panel will either have BNC (preferred), or SMC connectors all over
it.

To make matters worse, all of the tuning slugs have square holes, and they
are extremely fragile. If you don't use the correct tool, they fracture
and freeze inside the coil forms.

On the bright side, there are only a few failures that commonly happen to
6217's, and they don't require calibration. The first is the germanium transistors
in the front end are easy to blow, and impossible to find. NTE used to
have some NOS transistors that worked fairly well, and the second is a 1/4 watt
resistor that protects the VFO burns out when the capacitors get charged up
for the first time after a long period of disuse. The resistor is under one
of the little metal plates on the bottom of the receiver, near the VFO's. The
symptom is noise, but no tuning. And the third problem is the filter caps
in the powersupply. Like all 1960's caps, they are getting leaky by now.

-Chuck
Old April 20th 05, 02:45 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
Reggie wrote:
I'm a little confused. When I try to pick up WWV at 10 mhz I can't
find it...a hundred up...a hundred down. Picks up fine on SSB and AM
(International Shortwaves) but I don't really know where I'm at on the
band. The preselector seems to work ok on the selected MHz tick. What
do you think might be going on here?

Maybe a dead band? Try 5 and 15 MC.
--scott

Old April 20th 05, 05:42 PM
Chuck Harris

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article . com,
Reggie wrote:

I'm a little confused. When I try to pick up WWV at 10 mhz I can't
find it...a hundred up...a hundred down. Picks up fine on SSB and AM
(International Shortwaves) but I don't really know where I'm at on the
band. The preselector seems to work ok on the selected MHz tick. What
do you think might be going on here?

Maybe a dead band? Try 5 and 15 MC.
--scott

The Racal is incapable of having a dead band. There are no bands!

Propagation might be bad at 10MHz, but surely it would be good at
some point.

-Chuck