RadioBanter

-   -   Why so much for a ARC-5? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/7037-why-so-much-arc-5-a.html)

Brian Hill October 1st 04 01:14 AM

Why so much for a ARC-5?

W6JCW Bob October 1st 04 01:25 AM

"Brian Hill" wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...73&item=572237
5466&rd=1

Because those bidding are NUTS!! I'm showing my age, but we used to buy
those things for $5.00....

Randy Chavis October 1st 04 01:32 AM

boy I messed up..I sold 20 of those thing last year for 25.00 each...should
have put them on "crazy Bay"

Randy

ARS: WB4UNA
Randy Chavis
247 Goff Court
West Columbia
S.C. 29172

Dan/W4NTI October 1st 04 01:33 AM

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=57223754 66&
rd=1

Looks like it has all the additional goodies that are really tough to find.
Such as the dynamotor. Also that unit is somewhat rare, .52 to 1.5. As
memory served those were used as a 'Q-multiplier' back in the good ole days,
or was it a selective IF? Been a while.

Dan/W4NTI

Phil Witt October 1st 04 01:39 AM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:25:49 GMT, W6JCW Bob wrote:

Because those bidding are NUTS!! I'm showing my age, but we used to buy
those things for $5.00....

$4.95 NIB but I sure would like to know why the bidding went so high
on this one. I've seen lots better ones for lots less. Maybe the
spinner is rare.

Uncle Peter October 1st 04 01:49 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
nk.net...

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=57223754 66&
rd=1

Looks like it has all the additional goodies that are really tough to

find.
Such as the dynamotor. Also that unit is somewhat rare, .52 to 1.5. As
memory served those were used as a 'Q-multiplier' back in the good ole

days,
or was it a selective IF? Been a while.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan

Think it was the LF model that was the so-named Q-Fiver.

Pete

Ron, KC4YOY October 1st 04 02:37 AM

Note that the high bidder has ZERO feedback.
Makes me wonder...

Ron

Michael Black October 1st 04 03:08 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" (w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com) writes:
"Brian Hill" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=57223754 66&
rd=1

Looks like it has all the additional goodies that are really tough to find.
Such as the dynamotor. Also that unit is somewhat rare, .52 to 1.5. As
memory served those were used as a 'Q-multiplier' back in the good ole days,
or was it a selective IF? Been a while.

Dan/W4NTI

No, it was the one that covered the 455KHz range that was used as a "Q-5er".
That one had an 85KHz IF, and did provide nice selectivity to an existing
receiver.

Q-multipliers were a regen stage added to an existing receiver. Put it
on the plate of the mixer feeding the low IF, and it provided a null or
peak.

The one under question covers the broadcast band. I gather those
were never made in the quantity of the others, making them rare to
start with.

Michael VE2BVW

Michael Black October 1st 04 03:12 AM

W6JCW Bob ) writes:
"Brian Hill" wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...73&item=572237
5466&rd=1

Because those bidding are NUTS!! I'm showing my age, but we used to buy
those things for $5.00....

But remember, the fact that they were so cheap and plentiful at one time
meant that people used them, and discarded them when finished with them,
like any commodity. It's almost sixty years since the end of WWII, and
each year decreased the number of Command sets in existence. When they
were common and cheap, nobody worried about perpetuity. But all these
decades later, the price rises as they become less common.

Back in 1972, I bought my first and only Command set, a transmitter
that covered 40Meters. I could get it at the local surplus store, which
still existed and still sold WWII surplus. I paid all of ten dollars for it.
Those surplus stores are gone.

Michael VE2BVW

COLIN LAMB October 1st 04 04:04 AM

The broadcast ARC-5 is much more valuable than the BC-453 or the BC-454 (or
the similar ARC series), because the broadcast versions were rare from the
start and many of those that were available were converted for mobile radio
use (and butchered in the process).

If you want a complete set of ARC-5 type radios, you need to purchase the
rarer ones. Wonder what the ACR-5 transmitters in the broadcast band would
bring - I know they exist but have never seen one.

I only have about 20 ARC-5 rigs left - and to think my wife wanted me to get
rid of them.

Colin K7FM

---