RadioBanter

-   -   Beware- New Ebay "Spoof": Email Fraud (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/7108-beware-new-ebay-%22spoof%22-email-fraud.html)

David Stinson October 16th 04 07:36 PM

Beware- New Ebay "Spoof": Email Fraud

Watch for a "Question from Ebay member"
that takes you to a fraud page on Comcast.net,
IP 69.138.144.235

William Sommerwerck October 16th 04 07:36 PM

These are common.

The basic rule is -- if you're going to check or alter your account, never let
e-mail take you to the site. Always type in the name of the site you want to go
to.

xrongor October 16th 04 08:40 PM

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
These are common.

The basic rule is -- if you're going to check or alter your account, never
let
e-mail take you to the site. Always type in the name of the site you want
to go
to.

and if you get regular mail from your 'credit card company' or anybody else
for that matter, dont call numbers on that paper. call the number on your
card. ive caught two scams this way.

randy

Robert Casey October 17th 04 02:17 AM

One way to spot a fhilshing site is to use an
incorrect password for your account. If it's a
legit site, it should complain. If it's a fake,
it won't know that the password is wrong. *Unless*
the site is trying that password right then and there
at the legit site.... SO better not use this method.

Lou October 17th 04 06:09 AM

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
One way to spot a fhilshing site is to use an
incorrect password for your account. If it's a
legit site, it should complain. If it's a fake,
it won't know that the password is wrong. *Unless*
the site is trying that password right then and there
at the legit site.... SO better not use this method.

E-Bay does send out e-mails..... BUT they won't ask for your info MOST of
the time, unless there is truly a problem. The one SURE FIRE METHOD to know
if you're talking to E-BAY and not some spoof site, is to have gone to
www.ebay.com and entered it into your favorites and enter the site from
there to do any business, NOT from any e-mail.

IF you are suspicious about any e-mail stating it is from E-Bay, then you
can send it to and they will check it and let you know if it
is legit or not. IF it is not legit, you'll know pretty quick. IF it IS
legit, they'll tell you that too, and what to do about it.

I would NEVER EVER enter any info into an e-mail "stating" it is from E-Bay.
There are too many shams running out there which mimic E-Bay and "look"
legitimate. What I did find though once when I went to reply to the ass
holes who sent a similar message as I knew it was fake, was a name came up
on the screen. They had a Yahoo address. I forwarded the message to E-Bay at
the spoof address as mentioned. I do with all others as well.

The operative word here is ASSUME. NEVER ASSUME the messages you may get
"are" from E-Bay. In this day and age, you have to be very on the ball with
where you plug in your information. One of the biggest lines the scammers
use, is your account will be deleted or some such wording unless you do this
or that - asking for information. THAT IS A MAJOR TIP OFF.

Lou

Chez Robert October 17th 04 05:02 PM

For you Windows 2000 and XP users, give Spoofstick a try at:

http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick..._explorer.html

At least you'll know where you are in cyber space.

No Spam October 18th 04 01:38 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:36:04 UTC, David Stinson
wrote:

Watch for a "Question from Ebay member"
that takes you to a fraud page on Comcast.net,
IP 69.138.144.235

Speaking of the Bay. Anyone know what the story is on the Collins
KWM380s that keep coming up for bid? Sure is something odd going
on but dang if I know what the point of it is. Almost looks like
two scammers are scamming each other.

John Goller, k9uwa October 19th 04 02:22 PM

In article
,
says...

Speaking of the Bay. Anyone know what the story is on the Collins
KWM380s that keep coming up for bid? Sure is something odd going
on but dang if I know what the point of it is. Almost looks like
two scammers are scamming each other.

looks like two guys are trying to sell them to me.. Hank I know... he
is straight guy... I do think that they are both sort of fishing a
bit as the normal market price on the radio is about $2800-3000 not
any $3500 or 3800..... I used to own a pair of them myself.

John k9uwa

No Spam October 20th 04 01:37 AM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:22:29 UTC, TUFF (John
Goller, k9uwa) wrote:

In article
,
says...

Speaking of the Bay. Anyone know what the story is on the Collins
KWM380s that keep coming up for bid? Sure is something odd going
on but dang if I know what the point of it is. Almost looks like
two scammers are scamming each other.

looks like two guys are trying to sell them to me.. Hank I know... he
is straight guy... I do think that they are both sort of fishing a
bit as the normal market price on the radio is about $2800-3000 not
any $3500 or 3800..... I used to own a pair of them myself.

John k9uwa

About a week ago there was a UK vendor selling 4 or 5 KWM380s in
separate auctions. Somehow, the bidding got up to over $30,000
each. On one, it might be a typo but the $30,000 price was across
the board. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the auction.

de ah6gi/4

-exray October 24th 04 02:40 AM

Lou wrote:

IF you are suspicious about any e-mail stating it is from E-Bay, then you
can send it to and they will check it and let you know if it
is legit or not. IF it is not legit, you'll know pretty quick. IF it IS
legit, they'll tell you that too, and what to do about it.

I've never heard anything about them checking and telling you if it is
legit. You can send a blank email to that address and get the standard
"Its not us" blurb. That pretty much says that ANY email saying its
from them - isn't.

-BM