Old June 18th 05, 12:13 AM
Purr Plexed

Default Yaesu FT-101e has CW sidetone on AM transmit

I purchased a used Yaesu FT-101ee off of Ebay. When I transmit
with either a CW stright key or the microphone on AM the CW sidetone
comes out of the ft-101e speaker. Keying the CW key in CW mode does
not transmit. Whas there a mod for a Yaesu FT-101e that turned AM
mode in to sort of a code practice oscillator?

KS4HY

Old June 18th 05, 12:24 AM
Scott Dorsey

Purr Plexed wrote:

I purchased a used Yaesu FT-101ee off of Ebay. When I transmit
with either a CW stright key or the microphone on AM the CW sidetone
comes out of the ft-101e speaker. Keying the CW key in CW mode does
not transmit. Whas there a mod for a Yaesu FT-101e that turned AM
mode in to sort of a code practice oscillator?

Is the mode switch a wafer switch by any chance? And is it damaged?
--scott

Old June 18th 05, 05:40 AM
Purr Plexed

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:10:06 GMT, "patgkz" wrote:

I'll offer you a BuyItNow of $25.00.

I'll pass. Actually it works quite well on sideband, and if I turn
the sidetone off on the inside of the radio the AM works. I'll
probably have it fixed in a day or so.

-MR

Old June 18th 05, 06:04 PM
Purr Plexed

On 17 Jun 2005 19:24:29 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Purr Plexed wrote:

I purchased a used Yaesu FT-101ee off of Ebay. When I transmit
with either a CW stright key or the microphone on AM the CW sidetone
comes out of the ft-101e speaker. Keying the CW key in CW mode does
not transmit. Whas there a mod for a Yaesu FT-101e that turned AM
mode in to sort of a code practice oscillator?

Is the mode switch a wafer switch by any chance? And is it damaged?
--scott

The more I look at the schematic and read the theory of opration the
more I think it is the wafer switch. The CW side tone oscillator is
only suppose to operate in the CW mode, but it only comes on in the AM
mode. The output from the sidetone oscillator is fed in to the input
of the VOX amp, so the sidetone oscillator also keys the radio when
the CW key is pressed.
If I manually key the radio in CW mode with the "MOX" (manual
transmit switch) and then key the CW staight key the radio trasnmits a
CW carrier, but the CW sidetone does not come out of the speaker.
Only when I am in AM mode does the CQ sidetone come out of the
speaker, and it will key the radio with VOX enabled in AM mode and the
microphoen disconnected. Either one of the wipers in the wafer switch
is off by one (CW is position 4 and AM is position 5) or the switch is
wired wrong. Unfortunately the side of the wafer switch I need access
to is facing towards the inside of the radio, and not towards the
outside chassis. If I can can figure out how to get to that side of
the wafer switch I might be able to fix it.

-MR

Old June 18th 05, 09:32 PM
Casual Fool

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:13:18 GMT, (Purr Plexed)
wrote:

I purchased a used Yaesu FT-101ee off of Ebay. When I transmit
with either a CW stright key or the microphone on AM the CW sidetone
comes out of the ft-101e speaker. Keying the CW key in CW mode does
not transmit. Whas there a mod for a Yaesu FT-101e that turned AM
mode in to sort of a code practice oscillator?

KS4HY

Hi Purr Plexed,
No, there wasn't a code practice mod for the
FT-101, however, there was a mod that allowed you to install an AM
filter in the CW slot, and its tricky to do if your not familiar with
close space soldering, and part identification. First, take a look at
your Crystal Filter Board, and see if there are two filters on the
board. If there are, remove the FT-101 case, and take a look to see if
someone has installed an AM filter. The AM filter would installed in
the CW socket if its there. I have seen alot of problems such as yours
from people not doing the mod correctly. If you do have an AM filter
installed, the first thing to do is pull the board, and look at the
back of the board. The board is in a plugin slot, and not hard to get
out, just eyeball it, you'll see how to take it out.. If you see two
..01 ceramic caps between the SSB and AM filter, remove them. It
doesn't tell you this in the service manual, but you must do this.
Now, here is the rest of the CORRECT way to check the mod to see if it
was done right

AM MOD FROM YAESU SERVICE MANUAL

Install AM Filter in the CW filter position. Wire mode switch S2C
as follows:

1. Remove the jumper between pins 1 and 5

2. Remove the banded end of diode D1 from pin 5 and solder it to pin 4

3. Solder a jumper from pin 3 to pin 2

4. Remove the yellow wire at pin 9 of MJ-3 which goes to the heater
switch SSB and solder it to pin 4 of S2C

5. Remove the yellow wire from pin 4 of S2C and solder it to pin 5 of
S2C

6. Remove the red wire from pin 1 of S2C and solder it to pin 1 of
mike connector J3* - SPECIAL NOTE.. I have done quite a few
of these mods, and have found that on some Yaesu sets, the
mike connector is not wired the same. The red wire should go to
the GROUND lug of the mike connector.

This completes the AM filter modification. The set will operate
normal in the LSB and USB modes, and will use the SSB filter in the CW
mode. The wide band AM filter will be switched into the circuit when
the mode switch is placed in the AM position and the SSB filter will
be switched out of the circuit. The only change from normal operation
will be in the TUNE-CW modes. The mike pre-amp and amplifier stages
will be turned on if the VOX switch is in the VOX position. Audio
cannot be transmitted in the CW mode even though the VOX relay can be
energized via the mike, but in the tune mode audio can be transmitted
if the mike gain is turned up.

I also presume you checked both relays and assured none of the
points are stuck or dirty or sequence incorrectly. OH, BTW, BEFORE YOU
PULL THE RELAY from the PA cage, MARK IT, as it only goes in one way,
and there are NO GUIDE PINS TO LET YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK IN, and
it will plug in either way.. Oh, and not only mark the plastic cover,
once you take off the plastic cover, mark the relay itself, as you
could also plug the plastic cover on backwards. Plug it in wrong, and
the instant you turn the set on, you'll let the smoke out of your set.

In closing, I have scanned the whole Yaesu Service Manual into a .PDF
(21 megs plus) document, and as soon as I can get over to a friends
house with a fast connection I will up the manual to http//mods.dk
.... BTW, all of the above material is provided for REFRENCE ONLY. If
you choose to use any of it, you do so at your own risk. I take no
responsibility if you blow your radio up.. Best 73 es gud luck OM..
Anthony, WB8MLA
Old June 27th 05, 08:15 PM
Purr Plexed

I fixed it! A previous owner made a wiring mistake when he/she
installed the 6 kHz AM filter. There are two yellow wires that
connect to the mode wafer switch. One of them is for the AM filter.
The other yellow wire turns the CW side tone oscillator on when the
rig is in CW mode. A previous owner wired both yellow wires to the AM
tab on the mode switch. All is well now, and it works as it should.

Thnx.

-Purr Plexed no more...

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:04:46 GMT, (Purr Plexed)

Old June 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Purr Plexed

I fixed it! A previous owner made a wiring mistake when he/she
installed the 6 kHz AM filter. There are two yellow wires that
connect to the mode wafer switch. One of them is for the AM filter.
The other yellow wire turns the CW side tone oscillator on when the
rig is in CW mode. A previous owner wired both yellow wires to the AM
tab on the mode switch. All is well now, and it works as it should.

Thnx.

-Purr Plexed no more...

Old June 28th 05, 10:05 PM
Casual Fool

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:20:01 GMT, (Purr Plexed)
wrote:

I fixed it! A previous owner made a wiring mistake when he/she
installed the 6 kHz AM filter. There are two yellow wires that
connect to the mode wafer switch. One of them is for the AM filter.
The other yellow wire turns the CW side tone oscillator on when the
rig is in CW mode. A previous owner wired both yellow wires to the AM
tab on the mode switch. All is well now, and it works as it should.

Thnx.

-Purr Plexed no more...

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:32:52 -0400, Casual Fool
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:13:18 GMT,
(Purr Plexed)
wrote:

[...]

Good Show OM!! Hopefully, you got a good deal
on it off of Ebay because of the problem, and now you have a very nice
radio.. You may want to now do a "brush up" alignment on the radio,
which only consists of the ceramic trimmers on the bottom, to bring up
the receive/xmit RF up due to component aginging over the years.. This
procedure is explained adaquately in the owners manual. Just take your
time, like you did with finding the AM mod problem, and you will have
one nice radio albiet being made in the very early 70s... I have had
four or five of these radios in the past, and they work really nice,
considering the age... Again, be patient, and one day soon you will
be able to download the Service Manual from mods.dk .. I have given
my .PDF to my friend for upload, but, since Yaesu is still breathing,
I think he will do it annonomously.... Anyway, congrats again! BTW,
There also is a mod to replace the sweep tubes with 6146s.. If its not
on mod.dk I will also scan this to a .PDF file.. and have my friend
up it also.. The darn sweep tubes are nearly gone, and at the current
market asking price, the conversion to 6146s while a little hard, is
worth it.. Best 73 to you then! Anthony, WB8MLA near Cleveland, OH
USA

Yaesu FT-90R Current on Transmit Caljsi Equipment 6 December 22nd 03 02:08 PM
Yaesu FT-90R Current on Transmit Caljsi Equipment 0 December 21st 03 06:51 PM
Yaesu 101E and YC-601 Jon Fisher CB 0 November 2nd 03 07:27 PM
FS, Yaesu 767 HF base, No Transmit K9ike Swap 1 October 20th 03 02:25 AM
FS, Yaesu 767 Hf Rig, No Transmit K9ike Swap 0 October 14th 03 02:22 AM