RadioBanter

-   -   Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/79368-shipping-ups-ground-vs-fedex-ground.html)

-=H=- October 12th 05 02:03 PM

Shipping: UPS Ground vs. FedEx Ground

Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

October 12th 05 02:40 PM

Dean,

I have been using Fedex Ground and Home delivery for some time now after
discovering the same thing you posted here.

You can print label and manifest using their web-based shipping manager and
process on plain printer paper. The Web interface is a bit
counter-intuitive, but usable.

I have accounts with USPS (Onluine Click and Ship), Fedex (Online Shipping
Manager) and UPS (Online Web Interface). I use Fedex for most items over 5
pounds that won't fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box.

Chuck Harris October 12th 05 03:03 PM

-=H=- wrote:
Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

On the otherhand, in the last 2 weeks, I have had 4 packages
delivered to me by FedEX Ground, and each arrived from 1 to 4 days
later than the tracking system said they would. When the appointed
day came, they just bumped up the delivery date to the next
business day.

In one case, they lied about no one being home. At the time
they said no one was home, I was sitting on my porch talking
with a friend (and for 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after the
appointed time.)

I have in the past had a number of crated packages delivered by
FedEX Freight, and most cases, they completely and totally
destroyed the crates. I was lucky to only have to replace one
item from this damage. Once they delivered a 4'x8'x1' crate that
weighed 600# in a small econoline van. They couldn't even get
the crate out of the van without my help. One guy bloodied his
mouth when the crate went over balance, and smashed his head
between the crate and the roof of the van... All the while, the
drivers young daughter sat on the front seat.

I have never had UPS miss the delivery time they said they would
meet. I have never had UPS lie about delivery misses. And no
matter how heavy the package, they always bring it to my door
(and use safe methods for moving heavy packages.)

To me, it seems that your luck with delivery is just luck of the draw.
I have a great UPS delivery guy. The FedEx guys are different
every time.

-Chuck

Guido Sarducci from NYC October 12th 05 03:05 PM

Hi,

Be sure to ask for indirect or direct signature for
fedex home, (fedex ground has signature included no charge)
otherwise they just leave the cartons at the door.

I've been using FedEx ground since they started the
service, 30% less expensive then ups and one day
faster transit times too.

UPS uses company drivers and FedEx Home uses
subcontractors/independants so they have less
overhead, so lower fees.

US Postal flat rate boxes are a great value
for most of the auction items I ship.

Don't spend a lot of money on those self adhesive
ship labels, instead use regular paper and get
one of those glue sticks that the kids use at school,
that turns your plain paper label into a stick on label
for a few cents !

73 guido

Scott Dorsey October 12th 05 03:23 PM

wrote:

I have been using Fedex Ground and Home delivery for some time now after
discovering the same thing you posted here.

Agreed.

Let me also say that, from my experience, UPS and FedEx Ground break things
at about the same rate. But when FedEx damages something, they promptly
inspect it and pay out without a fuss, while UPS will do almost anything to
avoid paying insurance claims. Admittedly I have had only three UPS issues,
but all were nightmares.
--scott

hinkeydo October 12th 05 04:25 PM

-=H=- wrote:
Hi all,

I shipped two boxes of amateur radio equipment yesterday from
Lewisville, Texas to Cooper City, Florida. As always, I used
FedEx Ground. Here's why:

Two packages:
(1) weight 33.60 lbs, size 24 x 21 x 16 inches, insured $900
(2) weight 13.95 lbs, size 22 x 22 x 14 inches, insured $100

FedEx Ground, delivery in 3 business days, cost $38.77
UPS Ground, delivery in 4-5 business days, cost $56.07

UPS would have charged $17.30 more than FedEx (that's almost
45 percent) and would have taken 1-2 days longer to arrive.
To me, $17.30 is not a trivial amount of money.

Something to think about next time you're shipping packages!

73,
Dean K5DH

I would have to agree that my luck with UPS has been less than
satisfactory. but with fedex my stuff gets there a lot quicker and
costs less money. i have even sent msr 2000 repeaters across country
with fedex for only about 48 bucks, but if i sent them with ups, they
would be destroyed in no time. i have a friend that works at the local
ups and he tells me that the sure fire way to have something destroyed
is to mark it as fragile or handle with care. seems the guys in the
warehouse love to kick the hell out of boxes like that.

mike murphy October 12th 05 04:55 PM

main reason We stopped using ups is their insurence is a total scam,
they put more effort into not paying than handeling it ligit.

chef@dennys October 12th 05 05:18 PM

Fed-Ex Ground has always welcomed packages from private individuals, while
UPS would rather do business with business. UPS finally saw the light over
the last year or two due to Ebay, but they've did too little too late.

I've used Fed-Ex Ground for at least 5 years since UPS started opening and
inspecting packages accepted via their counters. The UPS counter folks
around here are extremely rude... in fact one of them is so bad just
mentioning her name to about anyone across the region who has been to their
counter and they know who you're referring to. Go to a Fed-Ex counter and
you're greeted with a smile. Also love their Ship Manager web processing.
Even when there's a line of people at the Fed-Ex counter, just throw your
packages on the desk... say "they're done"... and walk out. UPS lost my
business long ago.

.. .

hinkeydo October 12th 05 07:16 PM

chef@dennys wrote:
Fed-Ex Ground has always welcomed packages from private individuals, while
UPS would rather do business with business. UPS finally saw the light over
the last year or two due to Ebay, but they've did too little too late.

I've used Fed-Ex Ground for at least 5 years since UPS started opening and
inspecting packages accepted via their counters. The UPS counter folks
around here are extremely rude... in fact one of them is so bad just
mentioning her name to about anyone across the region who has been to their
counter and they know who you're referring to. Go to a Fed-Ex counter and
you're greeted with a smile. Also love their Ship Manager web processing.
Even when there's a line of people at the Fed-Ex counter, just throw your
packages on the desk... say "they're done"... and walk out. UPS lost my
business long ago.

"hinkeydo" wrote in message
.. .

I would have to agree that my luck with UPS has been less than
satisfactory. but with fedex my stuff gets there a lot quicker and costs
less money.

so true. the people at the ups place here are also rude, uncaring, and
obnoxious. one time they lost a package and the woman at the counter
was told by a friend of hers, "that guy sounds mad", to which she
replied, "oh yeah, we get them all the time", then laughed. well, i
made a really big stink about this and she was fired on the spot. then
it was my turn to laugh. i'm too always greeted by a smiling individual
at fedex. and the ups place here is only open 2 hours a day to accept
packages, which really sucks if you want to do business with them.

mike murphy October 12th 05 10:19 PM

In article ,
"chef@dennys" wrote:

Fed-Ex Ground has always welcomed packages from private individuals, while
UPS would rather do business with business. UPS finally saw the light over
the last year or two due to Ebay, but they've did too little too late.

I've used Fed-Ex Ground for at least 5 years since UPS started opening and
inspecting packages accepted via their counters. The UPS counter folks
around here are extremely rude... in fact one of them is so bad just
mentioning her name to about anyone across the region who has been to their
counter and they know who you're referring to. Go to a Fed-Ex counter and
you're greeted with a smile. Also love their Ship Manager web processing.
Even when there's a line of people at the Fed-Ex counter, just throw your
packages on the desk... say "they're done"... and walk out. UPS lost my
business long ago.

The ups ppl are union, so they don't care about customer service