RadioBanter

-   -   Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/89208-wanted-tuning-knob-arc-5-scr274-command-receiver.html)

Simon February 23rd 06 12:54 PM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

Hi

Can anyone supply a splined tuning knob for one of the ARC-5 / SCR274
series command receivers? For direct connection to the receiver, not
the remote control.

Thanks

Simon in Sydney, Australia

Lynn Coffelt February 24th 06 06:00 AM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

Can anyone supply a splined tuning knob for one of the ARC-5 / SCR274
series command receivers? For direct connection to the receiver, not
the remote control.

Thanks

Simon in Sydney, Australia

Hey, Hey, Hey! I feel your pain! Back in the late 1940's we used to use a
short section of automotive "vacuum" hose. There were knobs, but I was never
lucky enough to find one.

Old Chief Lynn

Andrew VK3BFA February 24th 06 08:25 AM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

Splined, no. You can turn up a good interference fit one from a piece
of brass rod. (Might be repost, Google login was going troppo...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Gary Schafer February 24th 06 04:27 PM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:54:50 GMT, (Simon)
wrote:

Hi

Can anyone supply a splined tuning knob for one of the ARC-5 / SCR274
series command receivers? For direct connection to the receiver, not
the remote control.

Thanks

Simon in Sydney, Australia

I have used old radio or tv knobs that fit the splined controls.

73
Gary K4FMX

Simon February 25th 06 01:42 PM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:00:32 -0800, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

Can anyone supply a splined tuning knob for one of the ARC-5 / SCR274
series command receivers? For direct connection to the receiver, not
the remote control.

Thanks

Simon in Sydney, Australia

Hey, Hey, Hey! I feel your pain! Back in the late 1940's we used to use a
short section of automotive "vacuum" hose. There were knobs, but I was never
lucky enough to find one.

Old Chief Lynn

Thats effectively what I am using now with a bit of rod to stiffen it
and accommodate a knob! You never know I might find the real thing one
day at a price less than the cost of the whole set!

Simon

Ron in Radio Heaven February 25th 06 02:49 PM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

Simon, I'd suggest you watch ebay, I've sold a couple
there over the years, only have one left that's on my ARC5.
I think the last one I sold went for about $30.

Good luck.

Ron

Ron in Radio Heaven February 25th 06 03:17 PM

Gary Schafer wrote in message
I have used old radio or tv knobs that fit the splined controls.

If I understand his original post, he has something that
"works" now, he's looking for the correct knob
for the ARC5.

Ron

David J Windisch February 25th 06 03:57 PM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

I have 2 made from real splines epoxied to real radio knobs of unknown
vintage.
$35 each ppd conus.
73, Dave, N3HE
Cincinnati

Simon March 1st 06 10:21 AM

Wanted: tuning knob for ARC-5/SCR274 command receiver

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice.

As I mentioned, I have fiddled something that works and gets me by.

These knobs are obviously very scarce and/or expensive and appear to
cost far more than my recently acquired unmodified BC-453-B for which
I was able to add a rack and dynamotor. The set now works well. I will
have to look out for another junker with a knob, which is how I found
the rack and dyno!

Simon