RadioBanter

-   -   WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/90400-wwii-ft243-crystal-manufacturers.html)

Joe McElvenney March 12th 06 01:17 PM

WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

TIA - Joe (G3LLV)

Dave Heil March 12th 06 02:34 PM

Joe McElvenney wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

Joe, you may add Tedford Crystals (later R/T Labs), Cincinnati, Ohio.

Dave Heil K8MN

[email protected] March 12th 06 03:46 PM

WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

Joe, you may add Tedford Crystals (later R/T Labs), Cincinnati, Ohio.

There was even a crystal manufacturer in Griffin, Georgia!

I'd hate to think how many there must have been at one time.

Bill Janssen March 12th 06 05:01 PM

Joe McElvenney wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

The few I have so far are marked -

Univ K.C. Telev M.O.
Valpey Crystal
Turner Company, Cedar Rapids
Scientific Radio Prod.
RS MC
Camb Thermionic, Camb Mass
Gentleman Products, Omaha
H.I. Inc
Stand. Piezo
M.P. CO.

TIA - Joe (G3LLV)

The US Navy had a crystal grinding shop in the Navy Yard in Washington
D.C. I
don't know how they were marked when shipped to the fleet. It was in
operation
in 1948 that I know of.

Bill K7NOM

Joe McElvenney March 12th 06 07:59 PM

WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a 'BOX BX-49-A' (coil/crystal set for the
BC-611 walkie-talkie) with a view to starting a crystal
collection. It contained 24 FT243 rocks from eight different WWII
manufacturers. Just to get an idea of the task ahead, has anyone
compiled a list of these manufacturers from that period?

Thank you to the individuals who have added to my list but, as
the following document shows, there were at least 130 companies
'grinding away' back in 1943. It would seem that anyone who had a
garage and a drill press could get into the game.

http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fc_history/bottom.html

73 de Joe G3LLV

Joe McElvenney March 15th 06 10:11 AM

WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:26:19 GMT, "Paul P"
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Cheers - Joe G3LLV

Steve Nosko March 21st 06 12:08 AM

WWII FT243 Crystal Manufacturers

Don't forget PR. The recent QST has a short on them being still in
business..
I'll have to go check my pile...
73, Steve, K9DCI