RadioBanter

-   -   FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT - (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/93279-fs-heathkit-im5284-multimeter-unbuilt.html)

Mike Nowlen April 22nd 06 07:00 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

This UNBUILT kit is in excellent, near mint condition and appears to
be complete with all documentation.

Manufactured by The Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

$200

Includes shipping, packing and insurance in continental US via FedEx
Ground. Outer shipping carton and additional packing will be
supplied.

Email me if you need more details or specific information:

Mike Nowlen

graham April 23rd 06 03:29 AM

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:00:29 -0400, Mike Nowlen wrote:

This UNBUILT kit is in excellent, near mint condition and appears to
be complete with all documentation.

Manufactured by The Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

$200

Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap.

Includes shipping, packing and insurance in continental US via FedEx
Ground. Outer shipping carton and additional packing will be
supplied.

Email me if you need more details or specific information:

Mike Nowlen

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap.

but Barry, he is not selling a fully working multimeter ...

Steven April 23rd 06 03:31 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

But is it any better and why spend $200 on a kit when you could
homebrew one, possibly cheaper, if you know what to do?

DeserTBoB April 23rd 06 08:13 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:04:29 +1000, Barry OGrady
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:00:29 -0400, Mike Nowlen wrote:

This UNBUILT kit is in excellent, near mint condition and appears to
be complete with all documentation.

Manufactured by The Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

$200

Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap. snip

I think his spam is trying to target Heath collectors, of which there
are a few around, I've read. For utility's sake, though, almost any
DMM or even a good, used VTVM would be a far better deal.

Bill Turner April 23rd 06 06:02 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap.

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

graham April 23rd 06 07:11 PM

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap.

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

.... absolutely correct

DeserTBoB April 23rd 06 09:02 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:11:56 -0700, "graham"
wrote:

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

... absolutely correct snip

I recall an unbuilt Heath AR-15 kit (WORST receiver I've ever owned in
my life, bar none) going for upwards of $500 a few years back. The
AR-15 was beleaguered with many problems, not the least of which was a
chronicly hot-running output stage due to inadequate heat sinks. The
MPX circuit was notoriously flaky on my example, as well, which traced
down to bad caps. Once debugged (and with a fan on its back end) it
was a pretty good FM tuner with an adequately beefy power amp. Sound
was....eh.

- exray - April 23rd 06 09:54 PM

graham wrote:

"Bill Turner" wrote in message

Try $5. Fully working multimeters are cheap.

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

... absolutely correct

I hear the rattle of chains having been yanked :)

-Bill

Steven April 23rd 06 10:59 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

WHERE ARE THE CAPS?

Spokesman April 24th 06 12:13 AM

"Mike Nowlen" wrote in message
This UNBUILT kit is in excellent, near mint condition and appears to
be complete with all documentation.

Manufactured by The Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan.

$200

Includes shipping, packing and insurance in continental US via FedEx
Ground. Outer shipping carton and additional packing will be
supplied.

Email me if you need more details or specific information:

Many heathkits are worth more unbuilt than built.

Mike Nowlen

jim menning April 24th 06 12:44 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

"Bill Turner" wrote in message

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

Steven April 24th 06 02:17 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Bid higher then.

Steven April 24th 06 02:25 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Why in the hell is so much of this newsgroups' output about Heath and
push pull all of the sudden? I mean new threads, not just posts.

Must be a slow day.

Paul Dietenberger April 24th 06 07:53 PM

jim menning wrote:
Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Yep. Just keep watching this one:
My guess at the final bid: $707.63

You know, I'm odd enough that I know better than to question others'
odd hobbies. But can somebody clue me in, because I guess I just don't
get it. Where's the value in these things that make them such high
priced collectibles?

If you build it, it becomes a relatively worthless piece of equipment.
If you save it, you end up with a shelf full of cardboard boxes of no
particular aesthetic merit. I suppose you could invest in them and flip
them for higher prices but there's no fun in that. Seriously, what
makes unbuilt kit collectors tick? Not judging, just really curious.

paul

Bill Turner April 24th 06 08:55 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Steven April 24th 06 11:12 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

To the poster:

The way Google compiles these things, I could hope you are not "Cin" in
alt.support.grief and we don't think our Bill could be a regular poster
to alt.sex.passwords (sic), and no I didn't look. Since we already have
an existing Bill Turner, who is QUITE well known, and you seem to be a
concern to him (and since you've been here before as I recall), could
you think about adopting a different tag at the least?

Bill has had enough problems lately.

Uncle Peter April 25th 06 02:31 AM

"jim menning" wrote in message
Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

I believe Zenith "persuaded" to discontinue that particular kit... It was a
too obvious
TO 3000 clone. I'd bet it is also a rare model in its own right.

pete

jim menning April 25th 06 02:37 AM

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"jim menning" wrote in message
Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

I believe Zenith "persuaded" to discontinue that particular kit... It was a
too obvious
TO 3000 clone. I'd bet it is also a rare model in its own right.

pete

Didn't Zenith and Heathkit team up in their later years?

jim menning

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 02:38 AM

Steven wrote:

To the poster:

The way Google compiles these things, I could hope you are not "Cin" in
alt.support.grief and we don't think our Bill could be a regular poster
to alt.sex.passwords (sic), and no I didn't look. Since we already have
an existing Bill Turner, who is QUITE well known, and you seem to be a
concern to him (and since you've been here before as I recall), could
you think about adopting a different tag at the least?

Bill has had enough problems lately.

Look at the headers, dumbass. THIS Bill Turner is a regular poster on
the news:rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroup so why should he have
to change his name to please your paranoid little mind? You would have
seen that the thread is cross posted to three newsgroups, if you had
bothered to look.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 02:41 AM

jim menning wrote:

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"jim menning" wrote in message
Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

I believe Zenith "persuaded" to discontinue that particular kit... It was a
too obvious
TO 3000 clone. I'd bet it is also a rare model in its own right.

pete

Didn't Zenith and Heathkit team up in their later years?

jim menning

Zenith bought Heathkit to become "established" in the personal
computer business to bid on a number of computer contracts with the US
military. I had the news clipping somewhere from a trade journal, but I
haven't seen it in some time.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Steven April 25th 06 05:17 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

I DID. Please quit yelling now. We had this happen a couple years ago
too, and I noted that then also.

Nobody is the moron you think I am.

Rob Mills April 25th 06 05:36 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

"jim menning" wrote in message

Didn't Zenith and Heathkit team up in their later years?

I've seen the name Heath/Zenith on motion sensing lights sold by Home Depot
just recently. RM~

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 06:24 AM

Rob Mills wrote:

"jim menning" wrote in message

Didn't Zenith and Heathkit team up in their later years?

I've seen the name Heath/Zenith on motion sensing lights sold by Home Depot
just recently. RM~

The last ones I saw simply said Zenith. They sold Heathkit a few
years ago.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 06:26 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

[...]

So, now you claim that you knew the other Bill turner was a regular
on one of the cross posted group and yo still wanted him to change his
name? What a ****** liar.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Bill Turner April 25th 06 06:29 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:38:39 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Look at the headers, dumbass. THIS Bill Turner is a regular poster on
the news:rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroup so why should he have
to change his name to please your paranoid little mind?

Be careful about your Bill Turners. There are at least two of us. When
I post to a ham radio group I always use my callsign, like below. And
I haven't posted to boatanchors for a long time, if ever.

Bill, W6WRT

Steven April 25th 06 06:32 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

[...]

Shut up! This was over two years ago and HERE. Just because you're a
newsgroup whore and on everything in sight...

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Steven April 25th 06 06:36 AM

wrote:

Look at the headers, dumbass. THIS Bill Turner is a regular poster on
the news:rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroup so why should he have
to change his name to please your paranoid little mind?

Be careful about your Bill Turners. There are at least two of us. When
I post to a ham radio group I always use my callsign, like below. And
I haven't posted to boatanchors for a long time, if ever.

Bill, W6WRT

I'm not in boatanchors but this has been crossposted for a long time,
which I've been more than aware of. Now it's just getting twisted like
a pretzel. And I'm leaving it that way. Maybe it will be fun watching
it unravel this time.

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 06:38 AM

wrote:

Look at the headers, dumbass. THIS Bill Turner is a regular poster on
the news:rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroup so why should he have
to change his name to please your paranoid little mind?

Be careful about your Bill Turners. There are at least two of us. When
I post to a ham radio group I always use my callsign, like below. And
I haven't posted to boatanchors for a long time, if ever.

Bill, W6WRT

Bill, I have seen your post on several of the rec.radio.amateur
newsgroups over the past year, always with your call sign. Your writing
style is very different, and you don't use all caps like the other Bill.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 06:47 AM

Steven wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

[...]

WHAT WAS TWO YEARS AGO?????? You keep saying that, but I have no
idea what in the hell you are blathering on about, as usual. No little
**** ant like you is going to call me names, then tell me to shut up.

Whore? You've lived on welfare you whole useless life, and now you
have the gall to call people names? Go away, Skippy. You're not
wanted, you're not welcome. Get it? Go away. You are the sickest joke
on Usenet, and you are back to your old tricks that got you thrown off
your last ISP. Keep it up and the complaints will pour in from the same
people that got your plug pulled the last time. The woman you harassed
last year is still ****ed at you. I just fixed her computer, and I
think I will give her your new e-mail address so she can tell you off,
again. She still thinks that you are some sort of a butch lesbian from
the way you talked to her on the telephone.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 06:56 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Steven wrote:

I don't exactly exist for this retarded box and impotent TV mess you
know as a computer. It helps me find parts though.

It does? Then PLEASE find yourself a working brain.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Steven April 25th 06 08:58 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

I don't exactly exist for this retarded box and impotent TV mess you
know as a computer. It helps me find parts though.

It does? Then PLEASE find yourself a working brain.

I'm not sending it to you...

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Carter-K8VT April 25th 06 01:17 PM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Zenith bought Heathkit to become "established" in the personal
computer business to bid on a number of computer contracts with the US
military. I had the news clipping somewhere from a trade journal, but I
haven't seen it in some time.

....and IIRC, they ultimately sunk Heathkit due to neglect of the
non-computer part of Heath.

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 03:07 PM

Carter-K8VT wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Zenith bought Heathkit to become "established" in the personal
computer business to bid on a number of computer contracts with the US
military. I had the news clipping somewhere from a trade journal, but I
haven't seen it in some time.

...and IIRC, they ultimately sunk Heathkit due to neglect of the
non-computer part of Heath.

Sure, all they wanted was a place to sell lots of their monitor
assemblies and complete monitors, as well as tap into government
contracts. Have you ever opened one of their TEMPEST rated CGA or VGA
monitors?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell April 25th 06 04:25 PM

Steven wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

I don't exactly exist for this retarded box and impotent TV mess you
know as a computer. It helps me find parts though.

It does? Then PLEASE find yourself a working brain.

I'm not sending it to you...

Hauling coal to Newcastle?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

DeserTBoB April 25th 06 04:41 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:25:27 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Steven wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Steven wrote:

I don't exactly exist for this retarded box and impotent TV mess you
know as a computer. It helps me find parts though.

It does? Then PLEASE find yourself a working brain.

I'm not sending it to you...

Hauling coal to Newcastle? snip

Steven and Charlie Nudo are two peas in a very, very rotten pod.

Steven April 25th 06 11:56 PM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

Oh, pick on me now.

At least you didn't invent me.

It's an honor to be misconstrued by such as yourself. Really!

Legitimizes my entire life.

Michael A. Terrell April 26th 06 01:29 AM

Steven wrote:

Oh, pick on me now.

At least you didn't invent me.

It's an honor to be misconstrued by such as yourself. Really!

Legitimizes my entire life.

I doubt that anyone has ever accused you of being legitimate. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

DeserTBoB April 26th 06 01:41 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:29:38 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I doubt that anyone has ever accused you of being legitimate. :( snip

He's not. He's Charlie Nudo's ******* spawn...or is it the other way
around?

jim menning May 1st 06 05:55 AM

FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

"jim menning" wrote in message

"Bill Turner" wrote in message

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

Darn, I was a little short. Winning bid: $787.77. But I'm still not surprised by
that.

jim menning

Steven May 2nd 06 09:00 AM

jim menning wrote:
"jim menning" wrote in message

"Bill Turner" wrote in message

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

Yep. Just keep watching this one:

My guess at the final bid: $707.63

jim menning

Darn, I was a little short. Winning bid: $787.77. But I'm still not surprised by
that.

jim menning

I don't think I've spent that much on everything but 3 of all the
electrical audio and TV widgets I own! I MEAN INDEED, the last three
put me over maybe by 150.00. ALL my tubed TVs, radios, Sony sets,
Stereo gear, Speakers, computer and embryonic computers and parts
sets/future repaired sets.

That guy's just loco. I'll make up for him and go snag a pair of 3-way
vans to transplant Pioneer and Jensen into and hopefully a Philips High
Fidelity Laboratories receiver in really decent working shape for under
15 dollars. Then I'll keep saving for an Emerson with SW I really like.

If I don't get my Teac dubber to stop eating tapes after
demagnetization, I'm going to build a booth and target and charge the
neighbors for chances to shoot it GRRR It ate my Joan Baez GH tape
dammit. That was despicable...oh well. And YEAH, I know somebody isn't
paying 800 bucks for a stupid kit. You go get Elliot Ness, I'll call
Joe Friday, somebody get ahold of Dick Tracy and Commisioner Gordon
nudge nudge a wink's as good as a blind bat, know what I mean?

Later.