RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Why does AM reception vary so much from car to car? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/111545-re-why-does-am-reception-vary-so-much-car-car.html)

Mark Howell December 14th 06 03:13 AM

Why does AM reception vary so much from car to car?

On 12 Dec 2006 19:42:17 GMT, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

red raider wrote:
I have an old Explorer and get better AM reception than in a new Lexus.
What can one do? Also, it seems electrical lines cause lots of
problems. I try and listen to a small station Radio Sandy Springs 1620
AM in Sandy Springs, GA and some place I get great reception in other
places lots of static. Again, what can a person do?

What you can do is buy a car radio with a decent AM section. Sadly, most
car radios have AM added as an afterthought and the performance is poor.

And the radios in Lexus vehicles are among the very worst I've ever
encountered, at least in terms of AM performance. After hearing the
radio in a Lexus GS, I bought a Lincoln LS. The radio sounds fine,
even has AM stereo (not that it matters any more) and the car has all
the same features, more power, and cost less. So how much money did
Lexus save putting that cheap POS radio in the car I test-drove?

The only AM section I've heard that was as bad was in a Hyundai, and
in a Hyundai you don't expect better.

Mark Howell