RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Radio station towers (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/153578-radio-station-towers.html)

Rafal Z August 25th 10 10:09 PM

Radio station towers

Hello

This is my first posting here. I was wondering if there are other then
FCC databases (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/databases/cdbs/) about radio
stations in the USA. I'm trying to create a web site and graph the
radio towers on it.

I was also wondering if there is an easy way of calculating the reach
of the station - like you can see here
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=U

I would appreciate any help thanks.

Paul W. Schleck[_3_] August 26th 10 07:26 PM

Radio station towers

Tom Morris KG4CYX September 25th 10 11:32 PM

Radio station towers

Got Google Earth? If so, enjoy this...
http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php
WARNING: After loading this up your friends, family, and coworkers may
not find you for days, as you browse happily... It's addictive :D

On Aug 25, 5:09*pm, Rafal Z wrote:
Hello

This is my first posting here. I was wondering if there are other then
FCC databases (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/databases/cdbs/) about radio
stations in the USA. I'm trying to create a web site and graph the
radio towers on it.

I was also wondering if there is an easy way of calculating the reach
of the station - like you can see herehttp://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KFI&service=AM&status=L...

I would appreciate any help thanks.

David Kaye September 26th 10 04:03 PM

Radio station towers

Tom Morris KG4CYX wrote:
Got Google Earth? If so, enjoy this...
http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php
WARNING: After loading this up your friends, family, and coworkers may
not find you for days, as you browse happily... It's addictive :D

Except that it's only the info for Kansas City area stations.

John T September 26th 10 06:08 PM

Radio station towers

* David Kaye wrote, On 9/26/2010 8:03 AM:
Tom Morris wrote:
Got Google Earth? If so, enjoy this...
http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php

Except that it's only the info for Kansas City area stations.

Maybe you didn't play around enough . . it's got everything for the
whole country. I spent (entirely too much) time exploring broadcast
microwave paths around Northern California-- not to mention Bay Area
FM translators and boosters, LPTVs, etc.

A recent CPU with plenty of RAM and a graphics card with a good GPU
are definitely recommended, but that's largely true for Google Earth
anyway. It wants to update every time you move around the terrain, and
it can be frustratingly slow to update at times (even on my quad core
processor with 4 GB RAM), I think due to the sheer amount of info
available, but otherwise I found it interesting and more than
potentially useful.

Try un-checking everything except the one category you want to
examine, and I think you'll have more success with it.

JT

David Kaye September 27th 10 01:09 AM

Radio station towers

John T wrote:

Maybe you didn't play around enough . . it's got everything for the
whole country. I spent (entirely too much) time exploring broadcast
microwave paths around Northern California-- not to mention Bay Area
FM translators and boosters, LPTVs, etc.

Then download on the website was for a 1kb file that included only stations in
the Kansas City area. I didn't find any other files anywhere and I looked all
over the website. Can you point me to a better page that has the full
download?

John T September 27th 10 03:23 AM

Radio station towers

* David Kaye wrote, On 9/26/2010 5:09 PM:
John wrote:

Maybe you didn't play around enough . . it's got everything for the
whole country.

Can you point me to a better page that has the full
download?

The link provided should have taken you to a page that has a large
download icon about 1/3 down the screen . . that's what I used.

The page: http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php

Direct KMZ download: http://ge.fccinfo.com/fccinfo.kmz

Hope that helps.

JT

John T September 27th 10 03:23 AM

Radio station towers

John wrote:

Maybe you didn't play around enough . . it's got everything for the
whole country.

Then download on the website was for a 1kb file that included only stations in
the Kansas City area.

I might also suggest that you zoom in to an area of interest and the
overlay should appear. The info in the sidebar changes constantly as
you scroll your view around-- this being the source of some slowness,
but also providing good information.

JT

Patty Winter September 27th 10 07:21 AM

Radio station towers

In article ,
John T wrote:

The link provided should have taken you to a page that has a large
download icon about 1/3 down the screen . . that's what I used.

Worked fine for me in Firefox on a Mac. I clicked the Download icon,
and it not only downloaded the KMZ file, but launched Google Earth.
As usual, GE opened into a closeup of my neighborhood, but as soon
as I clicked on "AM Stations" and zoomed out (and turned off all the
annoying overlays that always seem to open even though I keep unchecking
them), I saw markers for KDOW in Palo Alto, KGO in Newark, and several
stations in San Jose. A handy KMZ file, thanks!

Patty

David Kaye September 27th 10 07:21 AM

Radio station towers

John T wrote:

The link provided should have taken you to a page that has a large
download icon about 1/3 down the screen . . that's what I used.

The page: http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php

Direct KMZ download: http://ge.fccinfo.com/fccinfo.kmz

Hope that helps.

I don't know what you're getting, but I'm getting a file called fccinfo.kmz
that is only 279 bytes in size. When I doubleclick on it and load Google
Earth to read it I get in the Temporary Places tree a section called FCCInfo.
Under that I get a choice of AM, FM, and TV stations, ASR towers, Broadcast
Microwave, and something that says Cavell Mertz & Associates which has nothing
in the tree under it.

Under the AM section I get a list of just 9 stations, KCNW, KCZZ, KDTD, KKLO,
etc.

Under the FM I get sbout 23 stations including CPs. When I click on the FMs I
notice that all the transmitter sites are between Topeka and Kansas City.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to get other cities, but that's all I
get. I have never used Google Earth to look at anything in the KC MO area, so
there is no reason for GE to home there. I just looked at my saved locations,
tours, and whatnot and see no reference to anything in Missouri, Kansas, or
anything else near there, so it's nothing wrong with my Google Earth.

What gives?