RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   KSFO Federal Historic Landmark for the VOA? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/198552-ksfo-federal-historic-landmark-voa.html)

David Kaye October 28th 13 06:15 PM

KSFO Federal Historic Landmark for the VOA?

It occurred to me that San Francisco, and specifically KSFO is the
birthplace of the Voice of America. Given that the original building and
transmitter spaces still exist and the place still looks somewhat like a
radio station, isn't it about time to get the ball rolling on getting
federal and local historic designation of the KSFO transmitter site as the
birthplace of the VOA?

The VOA served as literally THE voice that saved America during World War
II. For the most part, the VOA served to provide fair and balanced
reporting on the war and the postwar era at a time when most other
international broadcasters were doing propaganda. The VOA helped America
gain friends worldwide via shows such as "The Breakfast Show" and the very
famous "Voice of America Jazz Hour".

I don't think there is any historical commemorative of the VOA anywhere, but
even if there is, the KSFO is the most important site of all since it all
began there with Wesley Dumm's KWID/KWIX.

Here some historical info:
http://www.radioworld.com/article/a-...amp-kwix/20933

Okay, how do we get the ball rolling on this?