RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   NERW Extra: A Few Words About EAS (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/208754-re-nerw-extra-few-words-about-eas.html)

John T October 30th 14 06:42 PM

NERW Extra: A Few Words About EAS

David Kaye wrote on 10/29/2014 4:52 PM:
"John T" wrote

If government agencies want/need emergency information relayed, they
should be the responsible initiators of the triggering mechanisms. If the
signal doesn't come through *their* channel, it shouldn't matter what data
bursts or tones go out over the broadcast airwaves.

I thought that the whole reason for blanketing the country with NWS stations
was to provide an independent government-controlled EAS system. No?

I think that was only ever with regard to national alerts. Locally,
NWS is rarely the first to originate an alert to EAS except during
extreme weather situations, and relays few alerts that are not weather
related. Even then, FEMA has been given responsibility for national
alerts through its questionably effective Internet system.

There are a few regions around the country where the LP-1 is a state
OES or equivalent agency operated VHF network system. I think that is
a superior approach and should be adopted universally. It's OK to have
broadcasters as LP-2s, I guess, but maybe NWS should be LP-2.

Bottom line, though, is that a dedicated full time agency should be
responsible for *triggering* EAS alerts via a hybrid VHF/satellite +
Internet system, not broadcasters.

John T.