RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   First attempt at an all-news or an "all-news-and-talk" station in Canada? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28183-first-attempt-all-news-%22all-news-talk%22-station-canada.html)

Mark Harvey September 19th 03 08:58 PM

First attempt at an all-news or an "all-news-and-talk" station in Canada?

Hello, everybody! :)

I would like to know if anybody knows what was the first attempt, in
Canada, to establish either an all-news or an "all-news-and-talk" radio
station?

I always used to think that it was the CKO Radio Network, which
flourished from 1977 to 1989.

However, I recently found out that Vancouver Radio station CKNW made a
brief flirtation with an all-news format, from 1969 to 1970. Therefore,
this was more than seven years before CKO went on the air!

In fact, when they switched to the all-news format, they even changed
their call letters to CKVN (the "VN" standing for Voice of News)! This
new format did not last long; within less than two years, they decided
to go back to being a music radio station, and they changed their call
letter back to CFUN. Nevertheless, I give them credit for trying! It
certainly was a noble experiment!

Does anybody know, was there even an attempt to establish an all-news or
"all-news-and-talk" station in Canada even *before* CFUN made that
attempt to become one? If so, could someone please provide me with the
details?

Thanks in advance for answering my question! :)

Talk to y'all later! :)
--

Keep smiling! Have a nice day!

Mark Harvey

* For direct replies, take the 'NOSPAM' out of my e-mail address!

Radio Fan September 21st 03 01:47 AM

In article , says...

Does anybody know, was there even an attempt to establish an all-news or
"all-news-and-talk" station in Canada even *before* CFUN made that
attempt to become one? If so, could someone please provide me with the
details?

Do the words "Burns on line go ahead" mean anything to you?? Jimmy Pattison
eventually destroyed CJOR when his religious zealotry got the best of him as it
often does, and he turned it into a christian rock station which was a
predictable failure.

foamy September 25th 03 03:56 PM

In article ,
(Radio Fan) wrote:

Do the words "Burns on line go ahead" mean anything to you??

I recall as a young kid going to the QE Theatre with my mom and dad
to support Burns after he was fired. The theatre was full and the
overflow packed the plaza in the rain. [ I think he was speaking inside
and recall him coming outside on a balcony or something to thank
everyone for their support ].

Jimmy Pattison
eventually destroyed CJOR when his religious zealotry got the best of him as it
often does, and he turned it into a christian rock station which was a
predictable failure.

A friend worked for Pattison in pr when he owned the Vancouver Blazers
of the WHA. One day he went into work and didn't recognize any of the
concession workers or ticket and program sellers. He found out Pattison
had fired all his paid staff and recruited members of his church as volunteers
to work the games. The next week the paid organist was history, replaced of
course by the unpaid volunteer organist from his church. It was at this point
my friend quit, he had a feeling the pastor would be sending out press
releases in the near future :-)

Jimmy Pattison is so phony, professing to be a Christian, all the while
committing the most un-Christian of acts. The irony is he of all people
better hope there ain't a God. g

Jim