RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Local Radio on Satellite? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28320-local-radio-satellite.html)

FAZAMY December 15th 03 03:26 PM

Local Radio on Satellite?

I heard a caller to a local fm station claim over the air that he was listening
from out of the area on satellite radio.
1. Is this a widespread situation?
2. Why would a local station uplink to satellite radio?

Evan

videonex December 15th 03 04:29 PM

"FAZAMY" wrote in message
I heard a caller to a local fm station claim over the air that he was

listening
from out of the area on satellite radio.
1. Is this a widespread situation?
2. Why would a local station uplink to satellite radio?

Evan

There are some local stations being carried full time or in pieces by XM
satellite. KIIS-FM in Los Angeles is one example.

Mike Ward December 16th 03 04:12 PM

On 15 Dec 2003 16:29:52 GMT, "videonex" wrote:

There are some local stations being carried full time or in pieces by XM
satellite. KIIS-FM in Los Angeles is one example.

KIIS is going away from XM, soon...though the channel in question will
still carry the Rick Dees morning show.

The original poster was probably hearing a show on Orlando's "Real
Radio 104.1" (WTKS-FM), an FM talk station which has the bulk of its
schedule broadcast on XM's "Extreme" talk channel. WTKS shows airing
on XM include their "Monsters of the Midday" show, along with PM
driver Jim Phillips and night host Drew Garabo, and I believe they're
all live on XM/Extreme.

Mike

H Glazer December 16th 03 04:12 PM

videonex wrote in message

"FAZAMY" wrote in message
I heard a caller to a local fm station claim over the air that he was

listening
from out of the area on satellite radio.
1. Is this a widespread situation?
2. Why would a local station uplink to satellite radio?

Evan

There are some local stations being carried full time or in pieces by XM
satellite. KIIS-FM in Los Angeles is one example.

XM took Kiss in-house a few weeks ago, except for Rick Dees' morning show.
The rest of the day is hit after hit, on jockless autopilot, with no L.A.
content. In XM's first year, its "Mix" channel was a simulcast of Houston's
"Mix" (not sure of the call letters; I wasn't a subscriber then), but that
was also taken in-house, in November 2002 -- again, it's fully automated and
jockless. According to info found on the XMFan.com bulletin board
(unofficial, of course), both of these channels are programmed by minority
shareholder Clear Channel.

I believe Sirius carries WSM Nashville.

Howard

drewdawg December 16th 03 04:12 PM

within these hallowed halls videonex of added
the following to the collective concience:
"FAZAMY" wrote in message
I heard a caller to a local fm station claim over the air that he
was listening from out of the area on satellite radio.
1. Is this a widespread situation?
2. Why would a local station uplink to satellite radio?

Evan

There are some local stations being carried full time or in pieces by
XM satellite. KIIS-FM in Los Angeles is one example.

Yea, this is one of the things leaning me to XM. I just moved from LA area
to Delaware and I'm missing SoCal radio :-(

Actually, I think they should switch to KYSR (Star 98.7), better music and
Jamie & Danny in the morning. Then again if they put all the LA stations
from ClearChannel & Infinity I would be in radio heaven. ;-)