Old February 23rd 04, 05:14 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Ben wrote:
I'm surprised 4 allowed 40 to go NBC.

So am I. I suspect some money changed hands. (given that they were -
maybe still are - simulcasting some of our newscasts) It would make a
certain amount of sense to operate 40 as a satellite of 4.

58 has really come up in analog power and 58's digital is strong now
where it was pretty much flea power before. 30's analog went down here
when they went to the new tower.

Interesting. 58's analog hasn't improved much since the move. Their
digital is the best of the bunch. To the best of my knowledge they
never operated their digital from the old tower south of town - in fact,
I don't recall their digital ever being authorized to operate from that
tower.

Interesting also that 30's analog dropped. The towers are within a few
dozen feet of each other, and the antenna height actually *increased*
(by an entire 2 meters...) on the new tower. They were already running
the max 5000kw, and still are, at least according to the FCC DB.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old February 23rd 04, 10:15 PM
Ben

Wonder what side of the tower 30's antenna is? I know it was all alone
at the top of the old tower since they came on the air. A whole 2
meters! HA Just looking it looks shorter than the old one...

58 was almost unwatchable up here when they were at the old site. When
they turned on digital it was very weak. I spoke to someone that
worked on the 58 site one day on 444.775. He told me at that time he
couldn't see it across town.

Boy I bet this is a fun thread for everyone but us...

Ben
BTW, is David VanHooser still working there? Sure I didn't spell his
name right...

Old February 24th 04, 04:32 AM
Steven J Sobol

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Cable isn't cheap - last I looked, the basic "lifeline" service (just
the local OTA stations and a couple of shopping channels) is $300/year
here. I know people who spend over $1,200/year for cable. Personally,
I'm willing to live with a fair amount of snow to save $300!

Cable isn't cheap, but 1200/year is 100 per month. I don't pay that much
to Charter, and I not only have digital cable, I also have the $40/month
Internet service (it's the middle-of-the-line residential package, 768x128
Kbps, similar in bandwidth to many residential DSL packages).

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

Old February 24th 04, 05:04 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Ben wrote:
Wonder what side of the tower 30's antenna is? I know it was all alone
at the top of the old tower since they came on the air. A whole 2
meters! HA Just looking it looks shorter than the old one...

Hard to tell. I suppose it's possible one of the other poles in the
candleabra is in the way...

58 was almost unwatchable up here when they were at the old site. When
they turned on digital it was very weak. I spoke to someone that
worked on the 58 site one day on 444.775. He told me at that time he
couldn't see it across town.

Hmmm. Maybe they started at even lower power than they're using now?

I did note WNPT's DTV on the air this afternoon. It was off again by
primetime though. Obviously still testing.

BTW, is David VanHooser still working there? Sure I didn't spell his
name right...

No, and I'm not sure!

Old February 24th 04, 09:48 PM
Christopher C. Stacy

On 24 Feb 2004 03:32:02 GMT, Steven J Sobol ("Steven") writes:

Steven Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Cable isn't cheap - last I looked, the basic "lifeline" service (just
the local OTA stations and a couple of shopping channels) is $300/year
here. I know people who spend over $1,200/year for cable. Personally,
I'm willing to live with a fair amount of snow to save $300!

Steven Cable isn't cheap, but 1200/year is 100 per month. I don't
Steven pay that much to Charter, and I not only have digital cable,
Steven I also have the $40/month Internet service (it's the
Steven middle-of-the-line residential package, 768x128 Kbps, similar
Steven in bandwidth to many residential DSL packages).

Here in the Boston area, the top tier package for Digital Cable
costs $94.20, HDTV is another $7.25, and if you want the Internet
that's another $42.95. Not counting the rental of the set-top box,
and all the taxes and extra fees.

Old October 9th 13, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default FM Broadcast band as we know it going away?

Good day to all of you, guys.

I'm a newbie in communications and I do have some questions I hope you can help me answer. Maybe if you have time, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

1. Give 5 other uses of FM broadcasting and discuss how FM is being used.
2. Why do we say that FM stereo broadcasting is using a Frequency Division Multiplexing? Explain.
3. Why is 19 kHz used as the carrier frequency of the FM stereo broadcasting, why not other frequencies?

Old October 9th 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:17:51 EDT, wrote:

Good day to all of you, guys.

I'm a newbie in communications and I do have some questions I hope you can help me answer. Maybe if you have time, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

1. Give 5 other uses of FM broadcasting and discuss how FM is being used.
2. Why do we say that FM stereo broadcasting is using a Frequency Division Multiplexing? Explain.
3. Why is 19 kHz used as the carrier frequency of the FM stereo broadcasting, why not other frequencies?

3 First: FM broadcasts as defined many years ago can handle audio
frequencies much higher than human hearing, but the higher you go, the
more bandwidth is needed. So, you can send ultrasonic audio, but
still want to limit the overall bandwidth. 19 KHz is above normal
hearing, but not by much. Double 19 or 38 is used as the carrier for
the L-R channel. 19 is the pilot frequency, not the carrier. But,
the carrier is exactly twice the pilot. Regarding #2, I suppose some
might refer to it as Frequency Division Multiplexing because the
entire audio bandwidth is divided into different uses. 0 to upper
teens for L+R (monaural), 19 for the pilot. 38 + or - upper teens for
L-R, even higher for other purposes. However, I never heard it called
that. Regarding #1, others will have to answer.