RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   WABC re-creates the past next Monday (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28699-wabc-re-creates-past-next-monday.html)

Mike Terry May 26th 04 11:46 PM

WABC re-creates the past next Monday

New York's WABC-AM (770 kHz) will sound different next Monday, Memorial Day,
between 6am and 6pm local time (1000-2200 UTC). The station will present its
annual "Rewound" special, 12 complete hours of original programming from the
60's and 70's when WABC was America's, and the world's, number one Top 40
station. Everything will be played back just as it was, including the news
and commercials.

Special guest for the day is Dan Ingram, one of the DJ's who helped create
the special sound of "77". Between 6 and 8pm local time (2200-2400 UTC) he
will join current WABC program director Phil Boyce to talk about the
station's heritage and take phone calls.

The special programming has been put together by WABC personality Johnny
Donovan, who stayed with the station after it switched to a talk format in
1982. The good news is that Donovan says he has enough material to present
these specials for the next ten years, thanks to the help of aircheck
collectors.

The first hour (1000-1100 UTC) will be a real treat for those who remember
WNYW, Radio New York Worldwide. It's a show by Les Marshak from 1970.
Marshak was the presenter of WNYW's Worldwide Hit Parade.

The WABC tribute site http://musicradio.computer.net/

(media network)

Rose___ May 27th 04 05:20 AM

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
New York's WABC-AM (770 kHz) will sound different next Monday, Memorial Day,
between 6am and 6pm local time (1000-2200 UTC). The station will present its
annual "Rewound" special, 12 complete hours of original programming from the
60's and 70's
Special guest for the day is Dan Ingram, one of the DJ's who helped create
the special sound of "77". Between 6 and 8pm local time (2200-2400 UTC) he
will join current WABC program director Phil Boyce to talk about the
station's heritage and take phone calls.

The WABC tribute site http://musicradio.computer.net/

(media network)

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

but I'm happy for Dan Ingram, I would love to hear him again on a
regular basis

Rosemary

scroob May 27th 04 07:20 AM

http://www.wabcradio.com/listenlive.asp

Scott Dorsey May 27th 04 04:07 PM

Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

Sid Schweiger May 27th 04 05:41 PM

Occasionally subject to interference from one of the Cuban stations but
generally an easy catch on your car radio on most of the east coast at night.

That would be nice for a nighttime program, but Rewound is running 6 AM to 8
PM...mostly under daytime conditions in the eastern US.

Taliesyn May 27th 04 05:41 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

WABC comes in clear as a bell in the Montreal area. I used to listen to
it often back in the Seventies when music still ruled AM. Today it's
just another news/talk station littering the band.

Clear channel is great, though. Living in the Vancouver area back in the
mid to late Sixties I used to pick up several eastern and east coast
stations at night. Doesn't seem to work in reverse though :-(, I can't
get anything past Minneapolis, Texas and Winnipeg. The good old days!

-Taliesyn

Rich Wood May 29th 04 01:18 AM

On 27 May 2004 15:07:53 GMT, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.

There's no such thing as a clear channel, anymore. In fact, WABC
fought KOB (now KKOB), Albuquerque, for years to get it off 770 so
they could be a clear.

Rich

SFbobby May 29th 04 01:18 AM

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

The entire Rewound will be streamed live on the WABC site..It will have hiccups
due to the glitchy software they use to remove copyrighted material and AFTRA
voiced spots. Maybe they've improved it...haven't listened to the regular
programming lately because of the wacko wingnut talkers.

"More Music!! On 77...W..A...B...Ceeeeeee"

Bobby The D May 29th 04 01:18 AM

Taliesyn wrote in message news
WABC comes in clear as a bell in the Montreal area. I used to listen to
it often back in the Seventies when music still ruled AM. Today it's
just another news/talk station littering the band.

Clear channel is great, though. Living in the Vancouver area back in the
mid to late Sixties I used to pick up several eastern and east coast
stations at night. Doesn't seem to work in reverse though :-(, I can't
get anything past Minneapolis, Texas and Winnipeg. The good old days!

My guess is that you wouldn't have much luck picking up east coast
stations in Vancouver today with the increased electrical noise and
just general band clutter.

Another reason it's tough to hear west coast radio on in the east is
that there aren't many powerful signals out that way, and even fewer
that aren't directional.

King Pineapple May 29th 04 01:18 AM

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.

Unfortunately, this programming will only be on the station during
"daylight" hours....I can get WABC in the daytime up here in New Hampshire,
but usually only in the cold weather months.

Craig

Paul Van House June 1st 04 07:43 PM

In article ,
says...

New York's WABC-AM (770 kHz) will sound different next Monday, Memorial Day,
between 6am and 6pm local time (1000-2200 UTC). The station will present its
annual "Rewound" special, 12 complete hours of original programming from the
60's and 70's when WABC was America's, and the world's, number one Top 40
station.

It was awesome! Wish I could have heard it over the air but since
I'm in Houston I have to settle for Internet reception. What I heard
was great....It's the type of format that got me interested in radio to
begin with.
I remember listening to Harry Harrison on the rare occasion my
family traveled to New York. I couldn't name the other jocks, but I
could occasionally pull in WABC on my transistor radio...It was usually
overpowered by 760 WJR.
Thanks to Johnny Donovan and crew for putting it together and thanks
to WABC for putting it on the air.

I wish WLS and CKLW would do something similar.
These were the two big-time signals I listened to growing up in
Dayton Ohio (along with local favorites WONE (before it switched to MOR
then Country now MYOL-type clone), WING (before switch to sports) and
WTUE (in its top 40-days before AOR).
As I recall WTUE was automated during the day and simulcast with the
WONE-am top-40 at night. Dave Michaels then did nights before it
switched to live top 40 and WONE-am switched to MOR for a very short
period of time..then Country.

WONE Jocks I remember: Tom Campbell (nights) (My all-time
favorite), and Dave Dayton (mid-days?) Johnny Midnight (you guess the
time slot).

WING Jock: Steve Kirk (am drive) (couldn't stand him but he was
around forever)

WTUE Jocks: Gregg Mason (am-drive with Phil Easily doing news)
(Mason is my second-favorite "local" jock -- now doing country in
Dallas), Dave Michaels (nights). Corny promo---"50-thousand watts of
stereo music power-power-power" -- with power alternating between right
and left channels)

--
Paul Van House
(remove _removeme_ from mail address for e-mail replies)

Mark Jeffries June 3rd 04 05:34 AM

Paul Van House wrote in message ...
Thanks to Johnny Donovan and crew for putting it together and thanks
to WABC for putting it on the air.

I wish WLS and CKLW would do something similar.

WLS tried their own Rewound a couple of years ago--if chi.media was
any gauge (and I hope to God it's not), the current audience didn't
appreciate it, so they haven't done it since.

Rose___ June 4th 04 03:34 AM

Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

You're right, I was able to get it in on a tiny sangean portable,
though not with the quality I would have had at home...I'm not
complaining though, just wishing there were a Tivo for radio....

Rosemary

lsmyer June 4th 04 04:26 PM

I once wrote the WLS PD about the idea that the station broadcast their 70s
music on Saturday evenings. I never got a reply.

I still think it would be a good idea though.

Larry W4CSC June 7th 04 02:24 AM

(Mark Jeffries) wrote in
:

Paul Van House wrote in message
Thanks to Johnny Donovan and crew for putting it together and
thanks
to WABC for putting it on the air.

I wish WLS and CKLW would do something similar.

WLS tried their own Rewound a couple of years ago--if chi.media was
any gauge (and I hope to God it's not), the current audience didn't
appreciate it, so they haven't done it since.

Over on alt.binaries.sounds.78rpm-era there are a few WLS Barn Dance mp3
files for downloading. Really fun to listen to.

Larry

Bobby June 8th 04 12:24 AM

Rose___ wrote:

I don't suppose this means you can get this show over the web...I'm
going to have trouble pulling this in from 120 miles away, as I'll be
away....

Why? WABC is clear channel. Comes in very well here in Virginia, also
comes in well up in Boston. Occasionally subject to interference from
one of the Cuban stations but generally an easy catch on your car radio
on most of the east coast at night.
--scott

Clear channel stations have a 'gap' in coverage at night. I was in
Atlantic City, NJ a few weeks ago and noticed NYC stations come in
lousy at night. The same stations come in much better in, say,
Baltimore, which is further away.

Here's why: An AM station at night has a 'ground wave' signal. This
is the strong local signal you get near the antenna source. There is
also the distant-reception 'skywave' signal. This is from the signal
bouncing off the upper atmosphere and coming back down to the ground.

There is a doughnut-shaped gap in between these 2. The skywave signal
has to go into the upper atmosphere and bounce down. Even at the most
severe angle possible, the skywave signal doesn't come into play until
you are a certain distance from the antenna source (not enough of an
expert to know what this distance is, but you get the idea).

So, from where the ground-wave local signal fades out, to where the
skywave signal first shows up, is the gap, with poor reception of the
station's signal. Clearly Atlantic City, NJ, is in the gap for NYC
clear channels.

I live in Columbia, SC, and can barely get WBT (Charlotte, 70 miles
away) at night. Go around 100 miles or so further south and it comes
in pretty well (when I lived in south Florida I used to get it
regularly). Same principle in action.

Of course other posters have pointed out that this show was broadcast
during the day, so this is irrelevant (but interesting info, IMHO).

David Eduardo June 8th 04 05:56 AM

"Bobby" wrote in message

So, from where the ground-wave local signal fades out, to where the
skywave signal first shows up, is the gap, with poor reception of the
station's signal. Clearly Atlantic City, NJ, is in the gap for NYC
clear channels.

Not exactly true. The "gap" is actually the cancellation zone where the
skywave and the groundwave come in, but at enough of a time difference to
cause effects commonly thought of as fading, fluttering, etc.

Scott Dorsey June 8th 04 04:07 PM

In article ,
David Eduardo wrote:

"Bobby" wrote in message

So, from where the ground-wave local signal fades out, to where the
skywave signal first shows up, is the gap, with poor reception of the
station's signal. Clearly Atlantic City, NJ, is in the gap for NYC
clear channels.

Not exactly true. The "gap" is actually the cancellation zone where the
skywave and the groundwave come in, but at enough of a time difference to
cause effects commonly thought of as fading, fluttering, etc.

And, of course, the gap shifts in position and shape during the night
as the D and F layers rise and fall.
--scott

Rich Wood June 10th 04 04:51 PM

On 7 Jun 2004 23:24:53 GMT, (Bobby) wrote:

Clear channel stations have a 'gap' in coverage at night. I was in
Atlantic City, NJ a few weeks ago and noticed NYC stations come in
lousy at night. The same stations come in much better in, say,
Baltimore, which is further away.

There are no clear channel stations, anymore. However, your
explanation of skywaves vs. ground is a good one.

Rich