RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   phrase (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28775-phrase.html)

Christopher C. Stacy July 1st 04 01:15 AM

phrase

What does "cut a tape" mean, and why and where does that come from?

(This is something we would commonly say; someone is
trying to track down the history of this phrase.
I'll refrain from posting my interpretation here.)

Mark Howell July 1st 04 05:46 AM

On 1 Jul 2004 00:15:17 GMT, (Christopher C.
Stacy) wrote:

What does "cut a tape" mean, and why and where does that come from?

It means "record" a tape. I suspect the origin is from the days
before magnetic recording, when recordings were made mechanically on
discs, literally "cut" into the disc by a stylus.

To this day many people refer to the tracks on a CD as "cuts." Old
linguistic habits die hard.

Mark Howell

Scott Dorsey July 1st 04 04:19 PM

In article ,
Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
What does "cut a tape" mean, and why and where does that come from?

(This is something we would commonly say; someone is
trying to track down the history of this phrase.
I'll refrain from posting my interpretation here.)

1. To record a tape. Probably a follow-on to the notion of cutting an
acetate, where the disc would physically be cut.

2. To edit tape.
--scott

Shawn Mamros July 1st 04 04:19 PM

Stacy) wrote:

What does "cut a tape" mean, and why and where does that come from?

It means "record" a tape. I suspect the origin is from the days
before magnetic recording, when recordings were made mechanically on
discs, literally "cut" into the disc by a stylus.

Perhaps also at least in part a reference to the days when one literally
cut (and spliced) tape as part of the recording/production process.

(To think we now have a generation of radio folks who have never had
to splice tape...)

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu

Gary Schnabl July 1st 04 11:07 PM

It's involved with the editing process in addition to simply recording.
Here's a dictionary definition, listing several uses:
http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/CUTTING
noun:
1: The activity of selecting the scenes to be shown and putting them
together to create a film
- film editing

An example: In filming or taping, there's the "cutting room floor."

verb:
10: Cut and assemble the components of
"cut recording tape"
- edit , edit out

19: Make a recording of
"cut the songs"; "She cut all of her major titles again"

20: Record a performance on (a medium)
"cut a record"

Gary Schnabl

Robert Orban July 7th 04 07:40 PM

In article , says...

On 1 Jul 2004 00:15:17 GMT,
(Christopher C.
Stacy) wrote:

What does "cut a tape" mean, and why and where does that come from?

It means "record" a tape. I suspect the origin is from the days
before magnetic recording, when recordings were made mechanically on
discs, literally "cut" into the disc by a stylus.

To this day many people refer to the tracks on a CD as "cuts." Old
linguistic habits die hard.

It's arguable that the pits on a regular CD (not a CD-R) are "cut"
(althoug some say "burned") at mastering time. So the terminology is not
far-fetched at all when applied to mass-replicated CDs.

Tape is another matter.