Old May 18th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Randi Kirshbaum Exits Saga Portland After 38 Years

RadioInsight

Randi Kirshbaum Exits Saga Portland After 38 Years

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...fter-38-years/

Randi Kirshbaum exited Saga Communications cluster in Portland ME after 38
years today.

Kirshbaum, who served as Brand Manager of AC Coast 93.1 and AAA 98.9 WCLZ
where she also hosted afternoons as well as midday host at Country 101.9
WPOR, stated on Facebook that Saga gave the reason that, The reason they
gave is that I cannot effectively do my manager’s job without being in the
office, although I have been successfully working remotely for the past six
weeks. Due to a serious medical condition that would make contracting
Covid-19 very dangerous, if not fatal for me, my doctor has recommended
that I continue to work from home in order to avoid exposure. I am not
willing to ignore my doctor’s guidance and put my health in jeopardy.

Kirshbaum joined WMGX as midday host in 1982 eventually rising to Program
Director. She would move on-air to WCLZ and WPOR in 2006. She added
programming duties for WCLZ in 2014. Prior to coming to Portland, Kirshbaum
worked on-air at Freeform Rockers KQRS Minneapolis, WKTK Baltimore, WHFS
Washington DC, and WBCN Boston.

The post Randi Kirshbaum Exits Saga Portland After 38 Years appeared first
on RadioInsight.

First Listen: Wisconsin 106 WCWI Wisconsin Dells

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...sconsin-dells/

I first became aware of Wisconsin 106 last night, after Northpine.com
reported on the format change. WCWI Wisconsin Dells had gone from
Mainstream AC, promising to play “a broad mix of Classic Hits and Classic
Country.” That prompted a follower to tag me:

What would @RossOnRadio say?

- John Gallagher DJ Entertainment (@JohnGallagherDJ) May 17, 2020

But it’s not about what I’d say. Ross On Radio readers have been excited
about the new Soft AC “Breeze” stations of recent years that mostly play
‘80s and ‘90s. They’ve been very excited about the new stations that go
further into ‘70s pop, including KDRI Tucson, Ariz., and John Sebastian’s
KOAI (The Wow Factor) Phoenix. Sebastian upped the ante by throwing in some
late ‘90s/early ‘00s Country titles.

The change follows Marcus Jaegers Heart of Wisconsin Media purchasing WCWI
last Fall.* GM/Morning Host Bob Goff described the change in a Facebook
video as a broadening the library coming from the new owner asking why the
station didnt play certain songs that hed like to hear on the air.
The best way to describe Wisconsin 106 is that they’re the Breeze list,
plus the Drive list. There’s not quite as much Classic Rock as Wow Factor,
although there’s some. Plus the Country titles are about a generation older
than what Sebastian was playing at the launch. And, oh yeah, I heard
Destiny’s Child, too.
Throughout the history of mixtape formats, the challenge is always
programming to somebody who likes the concept but prefers their own mix of
Country, Hip-Hop and Classic Rock. Some people don’t feel the need at all.
(“Hard pass,” tweeted one person in response to the Northpine tweet.) But
there were a lot of ROR readers excited about The Wow Factor, and they’ll
enjoy this one, too.
Here’s WCWI at 9:30 a.m., February 18:

Albert Hammond, “It Never Rains In Southern California”
Devo, “Whip It”
Warren Zevon, “Werewolves Of London”
Dire Straits, “So Far Away”
George Strait, “Ocean Front Property” (tied to Strait’s birthday)
Madonna, “Into The Groove”
Air Supply, “The One That You Love”
Peabo Bryson & Celine Dion, “A Whole New World”
Simply Red, “Holding Back The Years”
Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose, “Too Late To Turn Back Now”
Judy Rodman, “Until I Met You”
Destiny’s Child, “Bills Bills Bills”
Eagles, “The Long Run”
Donna Summer f/Brooklyn Dreams, “Heaven Knows”
Booker T & the MGs, “Time Is Tight”
Def Leppard, “Photograph”
Dion, “Abraham, Martin & John”
Martina McBride, “Wild Angels”
Duran Duran, “Is There Something I Should Know?”
Ugly Kid Joe, “Cats In The Cradle”

The post First Listen: Wisconsin 106 WCWI Wisconsin Dells appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Z105.7 Atlanta Readds 96.7 Simulcast

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...6-7-simulcast/

One month after moving its Spanish CHR format from 105.3 to 105.7,
iHeartMedias Z105.7 WBZY Canton/Atlanta is now simulcasting on 96.7 WRDG
Union City.

The simulcast completes the three station format shuffle that saw the
Spanish CHR format and WBZY call letters move from the southwest side of
the market 105.3 signal to the northeast side 105.7 on April 20 replacing
Alternative Alt 105.7. On May 4, the Hip Hop format of 96.7 The Beat moved
from WRDG to 105.3 (now with 105.7s former WRDA call letters).

The 105.7 and 96.7 signals have previously simulcasted three other times.
In 2000-2001 they were Rock AC Mix 105.7. After breaking apart for a few
years the signals became Spanish CHR Viva 105.7/96.7 in 2005-2006. They
came together again from 2010 through 2016 as Rhythmic AC The Groove,
Rhythmic CHR Wild 105.7/96.7, and Alternative Radio 105.7.

iHeartMedia Atlanta announced today that Z105.7, #1 Para Hits de Hoy,
will now also broadcast on 96.7 FM, effective immediately. The signal
expansion will reach thousands of new listeners in the Atlanta community,
allowing a larger audience to enjoy its Spanish Contemporary Hit Radio
programming.

Z105.7 (Área Metro) y Z96.7 (Área Sur) will broadcast popular hit songs
from top Hispanic artists including Daddy Yankee, Anuel AA, Ozuna, Bad
Bunny, J Balvin, Karol G, Romeo Santos, Marc Anthony and more. Listeners
can also tune in to hear their favorite top-rated on-air personalities such
as Enrique Santos, Jessi Dee and others.

“The 105.7 FM simulcast on 96.7 FM will create full market coverage for
Spanish Contemporary music and programming,” said Orlando Rosa, Z105.7 y
Z96.7 Program Director. “This allows us to serve the Hispanic community in
the North and South and the larger signal will also allow more fans to wake
up and enjoy Enrique Santos’s show as well as other fan-favorite
programming.”

Full Programming Lineup:

Tu Mañana Con Enrique Santos 6 a.m. – 10 a.m.

Orlando Mix 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Luis Treviño 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Jessi Dee 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.

The post Z105.7 Atlanta Readds 96.7 Simulcast appeared first on
RadioInsight.

WMEX Debuts Oldies Format

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...oldies-format/

Nearly three years after 1510 WMEX Boston pulled the plug on its Talk
format and went silent, the station is once again originating its own
programming.

In that time WMEX was sold to Ed Perrys Marshfield Broadcasting Company for
$125,000, changed city-of-license to Quincy and relocated to the tower site
of International Church of the Grace of Gods 1260 WBIX Boston with 10kW
day/100w night. To keep the license alive WMEX has simulcast Marshfields
Full Service AC 95.9 WATD-FM Marshfield.

After a few delays, WMEX launched its own programming today featuring a
1960s/70s based Oldies format. Northeast Radio Watch reports that WMEX will
program from 9:15am to 6pm weekdays with all other hours continuing to
simulcast WATD-FM including its South Shores Morning News from 5-9:15am.
Larry Justice, who previously worked on-air at 1150 WMEX and 1030 WBZ in
the 60s and 70s, will host middays from his home in Florida. Joe McMillan,
formerly of 103.3 WODS and 105.7 WROR Boston, will host 2-6pm from his home
in Maine. Jimmy Jay will host on WMEX on Saturdays from 8am-12pm and
Sundays from 8am-1pm.

WMEX can be streamed here.

The post WMEX Debuts Oldies Format appeared first on RadioInsight.