Old April 6th 05, 04:01 AM
Mike Terry

Default WWDA 770kHz

[From radiolondon.co.uk - this one was posted "very early in April" - Mike]

"Radio London's correspondent in California, Ranny Teebus, sent us this
report about a ship destined to go into the history books of offshore
radio... Ranny's contact states, "We really felt an affinity with the
original Radio London in the UK - the 60s music and the jingles. We want to
bring back the "British Invasion" in radio terms at least!

Sadly though, we couldn't just choose a station name, what with all the
regulations and whatever over here. We wanted to use "Wonderful Radio
London" but the FCC (Federal Communicator Committee) wouldn't let us use WRL
as you now aren't allowed to use just three-letter callsigns any more. This
really isn't fair as couple years ago after being forced to use KKHJ,
station KHJ were allowed to go back to using their three-letter callsign. As
we would have had to add a 'W' to make it WWRL, we still weren't allowed to
use it, as there used to be a station by that name years ago, in LA."

After Radio London's further investigation, it transpires that the quote
came from Robert E Lee, Station Manager and ex-Programme Director at WLBH,
on the outskirts of LA...Now we have a ship that can be made ocean-going in
about a couple months or so, therefore we can go anywhere in America with
our broadcasts - well, except on land!

"Although one of the big satellite radio stations here is interested in
taking us, and I can't say whether it's XM or Sirius at this stage, there is
no point in going on air if people can't hear you in the car and anywhere in
the home.

With the prospect that the listener can now buy a satellite receiver that
will get us in the car, we're also excited about the prospect of going on
satellite because people can still hear us also anywhere in their house if
they turn the volume up loud enough. At this time of year it's not too hot
or cold in most of the US, so we are hoping that car users will have their
windows down, so attracting other road users to our station. While it is
true that more new cars in the US are being fitted with satellite radio, and
as I said, you can receive the stations also with a home satellite hi-fi
unit, we feel that AM still has a long way to go. This is definitely where
the ship comes in. We are going to take the ship around the US coast so that
people can get a flavour of what we have to offer.

"Because of the importance of the station in renewing interest in 60s music,
the FCC have allowed us 500kW in certain parts of the US on AM from the
ship, but that would be a dangerous undertaking, and rather hazardous for
the crew and DJs because of the close proximity to the antenna being on the
ship and all. Although there is new antenna technology available that could
possibly do this from a ship, we reckon we'll fall back to using 50kW to
150kW with a conventional antenna to be on the safe side.

"As the FCC wouldn't allow us to use WWRL, we decided on a station name of
WWDA as that represents the main thrust really of what we're about - the WDA
part means "World Digital Awareness". The way forward is digital, even on AM
(and you only have to look on the internet to find out the details of, for
instance the DRM system). Heck even the British BBC are interested in this
technology for their World Service, so that must say something! We'll be
adding digital real soon, and that will give us a big boost in listeners!"

Ranny then asked Robert about the picture he'd provided of the ship at the
centre of the project. "The Sea Bird is able to travel under her own power
and what rust there is can be simply sorted out. Heck, it helps in providing
good contact with the sea as a good earth for the transmitter's antenna!" he
said.

But what about the "388" painted on the side? Apparently the FCC has already
given the company a little-used frequency of 770kHz throughout the US.
Robert says, "They have kindly given us that frequency and as a definite
tribute to Radio London in the UK, we felt that the frequency should be in
wavelength terms, so we've had lots of jingles prepared to include this. The
frequency is clear in many places on the US coast. We have to use low power
in some locations for the month or so that we'll be there, about 1kW, but
some other places we'll be up to at least 100kW. It's great to be able to
use the same frequency on all our promotional material wherever we are!"

( Photo of the new "World Digital Awareness" ship and story at
http://radiolondon.co.uk/kneesflashe...t/hapcurr.html )

[I found this apposite quote elsewhere - "The first of April is the day we
remember what we are the other 364 days of the year -- Mark Twain" )

Old April 10th 05, 05:29 AM
Mike Terry

It was an April Fool!

Old April 11th 05, 03:37 AM
Leigh...

Mike Terry wrote:

It was an April Fool!

So why post it on the 6th?

Old April 13th 05, 04:53 AM
Henry IX

Interesting, but neither station is in LA. WWRL is a black oriented radio
station in New York City, and WLBH is in Mattoon, IL. Used to mean We Lick
Butt Holes.

from a guy who worked there in the 60s.

Old April 18th 05, 10:47 PM
phlegm

Expressing such sentiments in Mattoon would probably get you a broken
face. (Not that I condone such face-breaking, but it's Mattoon).