RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Sirius XTR1 gets VERY hot - normal ?? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/71960-sirius-xtr1-gets-very-hot-normal.html)

[email protected] May 30th 05 10:09 PM

Sirius XTR1 gets VERY hot - normal ??

I use a Sirius XTR1 receiver in the XACT boombox and car adapter. The
XTR1 (shown here http://tinyurl.com/87cvu ) gets very hot to the touch.
Is this heat dissipation normal? It has a lot of vent holes so it
appears it's designed that way.

Does your Sirius XTR1 radio get very warm ? If so, any idea why ? Does
the LNA or other circuits cause that ?

Thanks, Greg

fredtv May 31st 05 08:16 PM

I use a Sirius XTR1 receiver in the XACT boombox and car adapter. The
XTR1 (shown here http://tinyurl.com/87cvu ) gets very hot to the touch.
Is this heat dissipation normal? It has a lot of vent holes so it
appears it's designed that way.

My Kenwood Here 2 Anywhere also is hot to the touch.

[email protected] June 2nd 05 09:19 AM

I wonder what causes this heat in satellite radio units. I make
semiconductors (chips) for a living, and none of our chips run that
hot. Perhaps it's the power supply, but why would they design it that
way?

Anyone have a XTR1 or other radio that gets pretty hot to the touch?

Bob Haberkost June 3rd 05 06:04 PM

wrote in message ...

|I wonder what causes this heat in satellite radio units. I make
| semiconductors (chips) for a living, and none of our chips run that
| hot. Perhaps it's the power supply, but why would they design it that
| way?

| Anyone have a XTR1 or other radio that gets pretty hot to the touch?

I'm not sure what the model is, but a friend of mine has the Kenwood
Plug-n-Play, and it gets disturbingly warm. I think this is one of the
reasons why satellite radio isn't wholly portable yet, because the chips
used consume a lot of power (and release a lot of it as heat). Next
generation chipsets should be a lot better.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Michael A. Terrell June 3rd 05 06:04 PM

wrote:

I wonder what causes this heat in satellite radio units. I make
semiconductors (chips) for a living, and none of our chips run that
hot.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps it's the power supply, but why would they design it that
way?

Anyone have a XTR1 or other radio that gets pretty hot to the touch?

How hot is "hot"? Don't forget that some chips not only need a
heatsink, they need a fan, too. A lot of the chips I've worked with got
warm to the touch, and some items needed multiple fans to pull air
through the radio case.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell