RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   WCBS-FM has died! (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/72198-wcbs-fm-has-died.html)

robert casey June 4th 05 01:28 AM

WCBS-FM has died!

This was an oldies station in New York City for 33 years.
Was pretty good. Though they played too much 70's and
not enough 50's and 60's. But still good. They also
had Cousin Brucie (who used to DJ at WABC when they played
music) and other "classic" jocks.

They switched it to "Jack FM". Sounds automated.
A mix of classic rock, 80's and current pop. I like
classic rock and 80's but I hate current pop.

Looks like I'll be listening to "Kool 967" from
southwest CT. They play 60's oldies.

Tom Betz June 6th 05 11:42 PM

Quoth in :

The Gen Pop will now have to sit back and wait for
smart station operator to switch to a more agressive oldies
format than CBS-FM was dishing out.

Don't forget that Viacom is planning to sell off its radio operation.

This flip is just an attempt, by putting a trendy format on the
former Oldies stations, to make them more salable. Infinity is
gambling on a spike in the ratings just strong enough to up the
selling price a few bucks. Of course, it also cuts expenses by
eliminating the on-air talent...

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Johnny Gardner June 6th 05 11:42 PM

CBS-FM Has not died it was killed off by the corporate greed!

David Eduardo June 7th 05 03:47 AM

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth in :

The Gen Pop will now have to sit back and wait for
smart station operator to switch to a more agressive oldies
format than CBS-FM was dishing out.

Don't forget that Viacom is planning to sell off its radio operation.

No, it's not. It is planning to divest or do trades outside the top 20 to 25
markets, where they feel resources are better put in other aspects of the
business.

This flip is just an attempt, by putting a trendy format on the
former Oldies stations, to make them more salable. Infinity is
gambling on a spike in the ratings just strong enough to up the
selling price a few bucks. Of course, it also cuts expenses by
eliminating the on-air talent...

A ratings increase of a share or so on two stations would not even change
the EPS by a fraction of a cent.

[email protected] June 8th 05 06:19 AM

Johnny Gardner wrote:
CBS-FM Has not died it was killed off by the corporate greed!

The former KNX-FM 93.1 has adopted the Jack FM format also. Evidently
they pay a license fee for its use. LA Times reviewer said it sounds
like a beer-joint jukebox.

pinpassion June 8th 05 06:19 AM

I listened to CBS - FM for most of it's 33 year run. Infinity
has flipped the bird at it's audience, and it's employee's.
The fact they aired the Mickey Dolenz in the morning show
at B.B. Kings in New York to celebrate the airing of thier 100th
show, only to pull the plug on them that day, was the ultimate
kick in the crotch. I for one would never trust them again regardless
of which side of the dial you are sitting. I'm finished with them.

Tom Betz June 8th 05 06:19 AM

"David Eduardo" wrote in
:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth in :

The Gen Pop will now have to sit back and wait for
smart station operator to switch to a more agressive oldies
format than CBS-FM was dishing out.

Don't forget that Viacom is planning to sell off its radio operation.

No, it's not. It is planning to divest or do trades outside the top 20
to 25 markets, where they feel resources are better put in other
aspects of the business.

Ah, yes. Selling everything but Infinity.

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2004/06/07/0607autofacescan03.html

theshizzle June 9th 05 09:17 PM

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for it, but here goes anyway. I was
truly disappointed by wcbs changing formats without notice, effectively
killing a landmark of NY (and apparently killing another landmark in
chicago at the exact same moment). But I at LEAST have to give them
credit for letting wcbs continue on the web. If this happened 10 years
ago, that would have been it. But at least it has the web going for
it. No?

David Eduardo June 9th 05 09:17 PM

wrote in message ...

Johnny Gardner wrote:
CBS-FM Has not died it was killed off by the corporate greed!

The former KNX-FM 93.1 has adopted the Jack FM format also. Evidently
they pay a license fee for its use. LA Times reviewer said it sounds
like a beer-joint jukebox.

That station has not been KNX FM for decades. It was a 70's rock format for
about 10 years.

[email protected] June 11th 05 05:47 AM

David Eduardo wrote:

The former KNX-FM 93.1 has adopted the Jack FM format also. Evidently
they pay a license fee for its use. LA Times reviewer said it sounds
like a beer-joint jukebox.

That station has not been KNX FM for decades. It was a 70's rock format for
about 10 years.

Arrow 93.1, playing "classic rock".

KNX-FM was back in the late 70's early 80's, up to 1984(?) when it
experimented with a CHR format. Didn't it do a stint as oldies (KODJ)
too?

P.S. I just can't get into Jack....on the one hand you have KRTH, which
has
a very limited library....but Jack has the opposite problem--it's all
over
the map!