Old June 11th 05, 07:26 PM
Frank Benton

Default FM Antenna and Reception Problems

TRY WWW.KZQX,COM FOR RECEPTION TIPS. PLUS HEAR SOME GREAT MUSIC.
"butlercellars" wrote in message
Our local cable company, Comcast, doesn't carry FM radio signals;
therefore,
I'm trying to improve my FM reception on my home receiver. I've had
separate
VHF and UHF antennas up for HDTV several years. They work wonders for HD
and
even analog TV, but the FM element on the VHF yagi surprisingly doesn't
pick
up much. Part of my problem is that I'm on an east facing hillside in the
foothills directly north of one major metro market area and directly west
of
another. Despite that, I don't understand why I can get decent TV
reception
but no FM.

After limited success with a homebrew folded dipole, I picked up a high
gain
three element FM yagi. No matter where I seem to point it, I'm not getting
any more signal strength than with the dipole on the back of the receiver.
You'd think that aiming it east, southeast, or south towards all those
transmitters would pull in something, but gain is very weak. However, if I
point it northwest, at about 45 degrees up the hill behind me, I can
actually pull in a few decent stations. Aiming the antenna in the opposite
direction of the stations just seems contrary to logic. I understand that
ground waves travel parallel to the earth, but could the signals be
bouncing
off the hillside too, acting like a huge reflector?

The thing that really gets me is that I can get excellent reception on all
stations in my car sitting in the driveway, and driving around. Therefore,
I'm thinking of dumping the yagi and trying to find or build a vertically
polarized omni antenna. My car antenna does happen to be mounted at about
45
degrees. Any ideas on what might be going on, and how I might improve my
reception? Any antenna designs and dimensions would be helpful. I guess
worst case scenario is I can go down to the auto parts store, by a car
antenna, and put it on my roof.

Please help. Many thanks!

-Bob

FM Antenna and Reception Problems Frank Benton Antenna 1 June 17th 05 06:23 PM
FM Antenna and Reception Problems butlercellars Antenna 2 June 11th 05 05:47 AM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 10:37 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM