RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Want to buy: Communications receiver. (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/84903-re-want-buy-communications-receiver.html)

Scott Dorsey December 23rd 05 05:58 PM

Want to buy: Communications receiver.

Gary Schnabl wrote:
"Meyer Gottesman" wrote in message

ARC-5.

BC-348.

Got to admit that the BC-348 is really ancient (late 1930s), but I worked
well over 100 countries with it in the 1950s as a young teenager. [I paid
about $10 for it, then.]

Bandwidth is wide as a barn. Sensitivity is very good, but on crowded
bands it becomes very difficult to separate signals out. Really spectacular
audio quality with AM signals, though.

The ARC-5 stuff is also kind of weird.... they are becoming valuable
collectors items these days. Used to be you couldn't give those modules
away at hamfests. I wouldn't consider an ARC-5 receiver rack to really
be comparable to a communications receiver, though. But the RF performance
isn't all that bad.
--scott