RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   two FM stations at the same frequecy? (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/86220-re-two-fm-stations-same-frequecy.html)

Ryo January 11th 06 10:09 PM

two FM stations at the same frequecy?

Thank you all who responded!

Scott Dorsey wrote:
[. . .]
Also, is there
a table showing which station has which frequency? I live
in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.

Yes, there a search engine on fcc.gov somewhere. But if you tell
me what frequency you wre listening to, I could probably make a good
guess about what was going on.

Thanks! My favorite station is Hawaii Public Radio (call sign KHPR)
at 88.1 MHz. I couldn't identify the other station. It was so noisy
and it was gone soon after I noticed its existence.

What was the weather like outside when this happened?

Hmm. I guess it was a bit cloudy, a lot windy (but when is
it NOT windy in Hawaii? :-), and with some rain from time
to time.

This has just occurred to me, though it may well be a stupid
question . . . is it possible that a neighbor of mine is
(illegally?) emitting FM signals? I remember when I was a kid,
there were FM radio transmitters. Plugged into the audio
output of your stereo, such a transmitter sends the sound
as an FM radio signal, so that you can hear the music at the
far end of your house using a plain radio. Such transmitters
aren't sold any longer in Japan, where I'm from. What about
the US?

Cheers,
Ryo