RadioBanter

-   -   Hey Antenna Gurus ! (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/118769-hey-antenna-gurus.html)

Vinnie S. May 2nd 07 02:43 AM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.

Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.

http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html

Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Vinnie S.

Telstar Electronics May 2nd 07 12:17 PM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

On May 1, 8:43 pm, Vinnie S. wrote:
I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.
Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.
http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html
Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

First off... don't claim to be an expert...
If you're talking about covering the CB band... don't think you'd have
any problem with coverage.

www.telstar-electronics.com

james May 2nd 07 01:39 PM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:43:01 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote:

+++I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.
+++
+++Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
+++dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.
+++
+++
+++http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html
+++
+++Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.
+++
+++Vinnie S.

***************

Vinnie

By band how much outside teh normal 40 channel band are you expecting
to operate?

I used a single loop on 6 meters and got about 600KHz bandwidth with
good results. A single loop is rather easy to build and rather cheap.
There are more pronounced nulls off the quad loop compared to a
dipole. Also th efeed impedance is about 100 Ohms so a simple quarter
wave section of 75 Ohm cable will be all that is needed to match the
antenna.

james

[email protected] May 2nd 07 10:30 PM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

wrote:

I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.

Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.

http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html

Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Vinnie S.

Add a reflector and become single directional with more gain.

Vinnie S. May 4th 07 01:02 AM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

By band how much outside teh normal 40 channel band are you expecting
to operate?

I used a single loop on 6 meters and got about 600KHz bandwidth with
good results. A single loop is rather easy to build and rather cheap.
There are more pronounced nulls off the quad loop compared to a
dipole. Also th efeed impedance is about 100 Ohms so a simple quarter
wave section of 75 Ohm cable will be all that is needed to match the
antenna.

james

Just 11 meters. I have a Hustler 5BTV for my ham rig. I just wanted to try it
because it looked cool. I am confused about the 75 ohm cable you mention.

Vinnie S.

Vinnie S. May 4th 07 01:03 AM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

wrote:

I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.

Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.

http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html

Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Vinnie S.

Add a reflector and become single directional with more gain.

That will be part II.

Vinnie S.

Frank Gilliland May 4th 07 08:53 AM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

On 2 May 2007 04:17:25 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
.com:

On May 1, 8:43 pm, Vinnie S. wrote:
I want to screw around and build some homemade antennas.
Will this single quad loop work throughout the band? Says it's 1.8 DB gain over
dipole. I was going to build a dipole, but looked rather boring.
http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/cubical_quad.html
Expert opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

First off... don't claim to be an expert...

At one time you did. What changed your mind, Brian?

If you're talking about covering the CB band... don't think you'd have
any problem with coverage.

As long as the ground plane is at least nine square feet?

Telstar Electronics May 4th 07 10:44 AM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

On May 4, 2:53 am, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
As long as the ground plane is at least nine square feet?

Polly wanna a cracker?

www.telstar-electronics.com

james May 4th 07 12:51 PM

Hey Antenna Gurus !

On Thu, 03 May 2007 20:02:52 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote:

+++
+++
[...]

Tomatch an antenna that is around 100 Ohms impedance needs only what
is called a quarter wave matching stub. It is simply an electrical
quarterwave length of 75 Ohm coax from the feedpoint to the 50Ohm
transmission line.

Simple and works well.

james